Problems installing a Halogen chandelier

Old 03-22-06, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Problems installing a Halogen chandelier

Hello! My first time posting and I hope some can help me as I have been stuck with this problem for a few weeks now. I recently purchased a new Halogen chandelier (10 bulbs with 20W each) to install in the dining room. This will replace a incandescent light fixture that is currently there. Here is the essence of my problem:

the fixture box has a black wire and a red wire protroding out. The halogen chandelier has a red wire and a white wire. It also came with a crossbar that has a ground wire attached to it. So I tried attaching the chandelier's red wire to the fixture red wire and the chandelier white wire to the light box black wire. I didn't know what to do with the ground wire on the crossbar so I just capped it. There was no ground wire coming out of the box nor was there a ground screw attached to the box. When I turn on the light after wiring it this way, the circuit breaker trips. So I tried connecting the chandelier red wire to the box black wire and the chandelier white wire to the the box red wire and the circuit also tripped. I am at a road block. - Does someone have any ideas? Also, it should be noted that the chandelier instructions stated that a dimmer should not be used with the product so I replaced the dimmer switch with a regular single pole switch. The regular incandescent bulb that was there before works when I connect the black wire from the fixture to the black wire of the box and the fixture white wire fixture to the red wire of the box.

I am at a road block. - Does someone have any ideas?

P.S. - I am in a apartment building in NYC that was build in 1957 and I don't think the wiring has in the dining room has been touched since then!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-06, 06:59 AM
Received 136 Votes on 122 Posts
Is there only a red, black, and white in the box? Normally the fixture has a black and white wire. Is there a transformer that goes with this fixture? Halogen lights don't nomally run directly of the line power.
Normally you would connect all the black wires(except the one from the fixture) together. Connect all the white wires together and to the fixture white. Connect the fixture black to the red wire which is controlled by the switch.

Old 03-23-06, 07:58 PM
one thing that you live in apartment ?? if so you must get ahold of landlord about this sisuation and most state law saying that tentet can not do any wire change or anything unless it approved by landlord but as i saying here most apt place will genrally get a electricican to come in and do the hook up in safe way.

the reason why the electrician can spot the trouble and save your neck.

if you do the wireing yourself you can loose everything if something catch on fire or other damage.
belive me i did see few apt like that way.

Merci , Marc

Old 03-24-06, 02:53 PM

Joe -

The electrical box in the ceiling only has white and red wires coming out of it.
The chandelier does have a transformer and the white and red wire is coming out of it.

Originally Posted by joed
Is there only a red, black, and white in the box? Normally the fixture has a black and white wire. Is there a transformer that goes with this fixture? Halogen lights don't nomally run directly of the line power.
Normally you would connect all the black wires(except the one from the fixture) together. Connect all the white wires together and to the fixture white. Connect the fixture black to the red wire which is controlled by the switch.

Old 03-24-06, 02:54 PM
French -

I own the apartment would like to save on the cost, but if I find myself unsure about this I will contact a electrician, thanks for your concern.

Originally Posted by french277V
one thing that you live in apartment ?? if so you must get ahold of landlord about this sisuation and most state law saying that tentet can not do any wire change or anything unless it approved by landlord but as i saying here most apt place will genrally get a electricican to come in and do the hook up in safe way.

the reason why the electrician can spot the trouble and save your neck.

if you do the wireing yourself you can loose everything if something catch on fire or other damage.
belive me i did see few apt like that way.

Merci , Marc