switching switches

Old 03-26-06, 07:54 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question switching switches

I want to utilize a light switch from a multi switch circuit to operate a new single light. The multi switch circuit has 3 switches and is wired with 14-3 colored Black, blue, red and copper ground. I want to change the one switch to operate a light that I am wiring with 14-2 colored black, white and copper ground. How can I rewire to utilize the existing power source to power the single light while maintaining the multi switch circuit for the remaining 2 switches on that circuit?

Old 03-27-06, 12:36 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
By multi switch circuit do mean three switch to contol one light? You probaly can't do it with existing wires. You will need to rewire two of the switches and you probably don't have the wires. Based on the wire colors you have I am ging to guess that you have conduit. If that is the case then you could easily pull in more wires if the conduit is not full.

Describe the layout and all the wires in all the switch boxes.

Old 03-27-06, 03:04 PM
T
More detail

Yes, I have 3 switches that operate 1 light. I want to disable one of the switches while allowing the other 2 to continue to operate the existing light. The switch that I disable, I want to rewire so that I can add a different light in another location that operates from that switch box.
The light that I am adding, I am wiring with 14-2 black,white and ground coming from the light to the switch. The existing switch is wired with 14-3 balck,blue,red,ground. The blue wire is attached at the bottom right side of the switch, black directly above it and the red, on the opposite side of the switch on the top left.
My thought is that I could disable the multi circuit as if the switch was in the off position all the time then connect a neutral and hot to run the new light. Is this possible?

Old 03-27-06, 04:03 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
What other wires are on the box? If you only have three wires then you can't do it unless you have power at the light already.
This is a three way switch so it is at one of the switch line. You could convert the four way to a three way and disable this switch but I still don't think you have unswitched power or a neutral for your new light.

Old 03-27-06, 04:44 PM
T
The switch box that this switch is in has 2 other switches (total of 3) that are also on a multi switch circuit for other lights. There are 4 cables of 14-3 coming into the box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: