Need help with wiring light correctly

Old 03-29-06, 10:01 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help with wiring light correctly

I installed a new recessed light with switch in my closet. the switch has an electrical outlet which works when the power is on but the light itself does not. The power l.e.d on the switch turns on so i think i have the switch wired properly but i must be doing something wrong with the light. So i was curious if someone could tell me which wire should hook to what?

i have my switch black and white wires and my light black and white wires and of course my main black and white wires. The config i tried was...

switch black to the light black
switch white to black main
light white to main white

but as i said the outlet works and the l.e.d on the switch shows its on and working but the light itself does not turn on. Any help?

Old 03-29-06, 01:22 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Is this a switch receptacle combo with a light in it? Please tell us the make and model and link to it if yo have one. I have not seen a device like that with wires on it as you seem to be describing.
Did it come with directions? What do they about the connection points on the device?

Old 03-29-06, 01:49 PM
J
Originally Posted by joed
Is this a switch receptacle combo with a light in it? Please tell us the make and model and link to it if yo have one. I have not seen a device like that with wires on it as you seem to be describing.
Did it come with directions? What do they about the connection points on the device?
No, I am asking help about how the wiring goes for the light,switch, and main power.

Old 03-29-06, 04:25 PM
J
Originally Posted by jasonmcr
the switch has an electrical outlet which works when the power is on but the light itself does not.
You need to try again and explain what have and how it is wired. The above quote indicates to me you are using a combo device.
I need to know things like how the cable are routed. eg. power to receptacle then to switch then to light.
I need to know which color wires are connected to which terminals on the receptacle, the switch and the light fixture.

Old 03-29-06, 07:45 PM
J
sorry it is a combo device it is a switch which has a electric outlet in it. one side of the switch has 2 black screws and the other side has one brass and one silver screw.

The way I have this wired is the is i have the main power black cable running to the switches white cable which i hooked to the brass screw. the main white cable runs directly to the white cable to the light. the black from the light runs to the black from the switch which is on the black screw of the switch.

I am sure something is wired wrong here.

Old 03-30-06, 02:54 PM
J
Got it working now.....all i needed was a third wire from the brass screw to the light.

Old 03-30-06, 03:15 PM
J
I don't understand this comment. "The way I have this wired is the is i have the main power black cable running to the switches white cable " The switch doesn't have white cable and in this setup there is no need to connect a black to a white.
It should be hooked as follows.
Power black to the double black screws.
Power white and light white connected with a pigtail to the silver screw.
Light black to the switch brass screw.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: