Recess light question

Old 03-29-06, 01:56 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recess light question

I am putting 6 recess lights around my house. Actually I am replacing the existing fixtures with recess lights. In three of them i have access to the attic and in the other three I have no access. my question is, will there be a difference in the type of recess light the I buy for the ones that I don't have access to. Also what is the standard size hole that I need to drill or cut.

I will probably have more questions when i get more into it.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-06, 04:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
You would use remodel housings where you have no access to install a new work housing. You could use new work housings where you do have attic access.

The hole is specific to each brand of fixture, some 6" fixtures need a 6 5/8" hole, others 6 7/8". The remodeler should have a template for the correct size hole.

Old 03-29-06, 07:01 PM
F
Originally Posted by pcboss
You would use remodel housings where you have no access to install a new work housing. You could use new work housings where you do have attic access.

The hole is specific to each brand of fixture, some 6" fixtures need a 6 5/8" hole, others 6 7/8". The remodeler should have a template for the correct size hole.
why would there be any reason to use new construction housings when the ceiling is already finished?

Use remodel cans for all of them. You will either need IC (insulation compatable0 or Non-IC. IC rated cans don't need clearance on top from combustables, but it probably isn't a good idea to bury them in insulation. Non-IC rated cans required 1/2" on top and 3" around the base clearance from combustables. So if you have no access for some of them, make sure you have the required 1/2" on top. You can always move/remove insuation to get the required 3".

The can will come with a template that you can use to cut the hole. After you trace it to the wall, cut the hole slightly smaller than the trace. You can always cut more if needed, but you want a snug fit; don't cut it to big or you'll have a gap you'll want to fill later.

Good luck.

Old 03-29-06, 07:55 PM
W
If you use remodel cans they will come with an opening template. Cut the hole using the template. If it is too small the light won't fit. You can get away with a little oversize because the baffle trim piece will cover a slightly larger diameter.
Assuming the wiring is in place, remodel cans are quicker and easier to install. Figure 15-20 minutes from the time you cut the hole. However, they are supported only by the ceiling material (usually drywall). New construction cans are designed to be nailed between the ceiling joists and are a little sturdier.

Old 03-30-06, 11:20 AM
why would there be any reason to use new construction housings when the ceiling is already finished?
The ceiling being finished has nothing to do with using remodel or new construction. Either way you have to cut a hole in the ceiling, so it being finished has nothing to do with it.

I usually prefer to use new construction when I have access from above, but it is really up to you.

Old 03-30-06, 04:34 PM
L
Got the remodel cans and they went in great. However, the extra wires (black, white, and groud that were above the old fixture did not fit in the recess light box. I capped them as they were before and covered them in electrical tape. they are pushed above the can for right now. is this alright?

Old 03-30-06, 05:34 PM
F
Originally Posted by lbphathead19
Got the remodel cans and they went in great. However, the extra wires (black, white, and groud that were above the old fixture did not fit in the recess light box. I capped them as they were before and covered them in electrical tape. they are pushed above the can for right now. is this alright?
Glad to hear you got the cans in.

If the wires you capped are attached to a hot circuit, you cannot do what you've done. They need to be terminated in a junction box that is accessible; so that would either be surface mounted on the ceiling, or the j-box of the can.

If they are not hot, then what you've done is fine.