Using track lighting in bathroom

Old 03-29-06, 08:06 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using track lighting in bathroom

I am in the process of remodeling my master bathroom, and have high, open beam ceilings. I would like to install track lighting on two of the overhead beams...one track over the vanity, and one over the toilet alcove, and use hanging pendent style lights on the track. The tracks will be well away from the shower stall (but in the same room). I thought I read somewhere that its not a good idea to use track lighting in bathrooms, due to, I guess, moisture accumulation on the track "rails". Anyone know anything about this? Is using track lighting forbidden by code, or is it considered poor practice? Is there such a thing as special bathroom grade track lighting? Seems like it would be OK, as I've seen track lighting used in kitchens which can generate lots of steam at the sink or over the stove while boiling water. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-06, 05:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The tracks are copper and I don't know of any prohibition except for spacing from shower units in the code for use in bathrooms, especially since you have a vaulted ceiling. Your bathroom is probably vented better than your kitchen anyway.

Old 03-31-06, 08:01 PM
T
Thanks for the reply. I was just at Home Depot and was browsing several bathroom remodeling books, and several talk about using track lighting, and show pictures, so I guess its OK. My summary book on the electric code talks about "Wet Locations" and "Damp Locations", but based on the examples they give, it doesn't sound like bathrooms qualify for either of these definitions. My track lights will be outside the 8' high x 3' wide "forbidden zone" around the shower.

Old 04-07-06, 01:53 PM
D
You will be perfectly fine using track lighting in your bathroom. To ensure that your track head/pendants do not get moisture in the bulb/socket, you can use glass covered bulbs (do not use glass covered if a glass lens is provided with the track heads). Just look at the bulb before you buy it, and if there is glass covering the bulb (based on MR16 bulbs, any other halogen bulb do not worry about) then I wold recommend using that in the bathroom. Other than that you should be good to go, I have track in all my bathrooms and no problems.