another recessed lighting question

Old 04-03-06, 11:54 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question another recessed lighting question

I'm planning on adding recessed lights to my living, looking for confirmation that I have the correct approach.

The room is 20x25x8. It is separated in half - 13 x20 part has sofas, big screen TV, and 12 x20 has baby grand piano at one end and sitting area with 2 chairs at the other. Along the back wall (25') is mostly glass - 8' wide patio door and an 11' wide set of windows. The opposite wall is partially open to a foyer/hall area.

Currently the only light comes from a table lamp in the TV area, a floor lamp in the seating area, and a small chandelier over the piano. My goal is to add ambient light that I can dim low while watching TV, and also have turned up for general lighting while not wathcing the TV for parties, etc.

I do not want a grid of recessed light over the entire room, so I planned on just adding them along the wall - 5 across the back about 4' apart, 4' from the ends, 30" from the back wall. Two would be near the sitting area and 3 near the TV area, both on separate switches. Then 2 more with similar spacing on the opposite wall (that wall is only 11' before it opens to the other area which already has a few cans.)

Am I on the right track here?
For the lights along the back wall, should they be spaced futher from the wall than 30"? I didn't want to come out too far such that they'd be directly overhead when sitting on one of the sofas. On the other hand since it's mostly windows on that wall will I lose some light since there's no much wall space that the light is shining on?

thx in advance, Don

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-06, 08:12 AM
D
Bump

Can anyone help here? I know the post was long but I wanted to provide as much detail as possible to describe the room.

thx, Don

Old 04-05-06, 11:46 AM
W
I think you aren't getting answers because there is no correct answer. Room lighting is too subjective. My tastes and requirements may be 180 out from yours.
Your best bet might be to determine exactly where and how much light you want on a floor plan and take your ideas to a lighting specialty shop. They can help you determine what style and wattage of lights you need to meet your needs. I've done this and the advice was free since I bought my recessed lights there.