Help with flourescent lights

Old 04-04-06, 10:27 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with flourescent lights

Help! Replaced all 4 lights in our kitchen but they won't turn on. They just flicker. I put T8's in initially and then found out I needed T12's. Any suggestions? My house is up for sale and the brokers are coming tomorrow!!
The lights that I replaced worked, but they were just slow in coming on sometimes. Thanks for any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-06, 07:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 83 Votes on 71 Posts
Did you replace the fixtures or just change the lamps? Did they work before? How old are the fixtures?

If you just put in the wrong bulbs, put the correct bulbs in.

Old 04-05-06, 08:37 AM
P
Originally Posted by pcboss
Did you replace the fixtures or just change the lamps? Did they work before? How old are the fixtures?

If you just put in the wrong bulbs, put the correct bulbs in.
Same fixture and yes, it worked fine except it was slow to turn on which is why I bought new bulbs. I did put in the right size bulbs (mentioned wrong size hoping they hadn't caused a problem). Fixture is at least 12 years old.

Strange thing is this morning, we took one of the new bulbs out and replaced it with an old one...and all the bulbs are now working. Could the removed bulb (which is new) be bad?

So glad it is working now but would like to know. TIA!

Old 04-08-06, 08:45 PM
D
If it slow turning on, and probably because it is 12 years old, there is a good chance the flourescents have a magnetic ballast. A magnetic ballast causes slow on and flickering, plus more buzzing. A way to solve this problem if it is in fact the problem, would be to replace with an electronic ballast. This way it is an instant on, and the buzzing and electrical intereference is reduced to a minimum. Also make sure you use the correct bulbs and your problems should be solved.