Lumen confusion

Old 04-08-06, 07:19 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lumen confusion

I just replaced a couple of R20, 50W incandescant bulbs rated at 225 Lumen with a couple of 50W (actual 14W consumption according to the package small print - another confusing issue why sell it as 50W when it is really 14W???) R20 flourescent bulbs rated at 465 Lumen or roughly twice the brightness of the 50W incandescent.
The bulbs are installed in 4" recessed cans. Both styles are floods. The "perceived" output (my eyeball) from the flourescent bulbs is probably half that of the incandescent.
The cost of the flourescents was roughly twice that of the incandescent. Am I missing something here?
Are industry labeling standards for bulbs as confusing as they seem. BTW "confusing" was not my first choice.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-06, 08:41 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The main reason the manufacturers put it as a 50w bulb is because it makes it comparable to the output of a regular 50w bulb. Although it is brighter, the 14W bulb has a similar output to a 50W compared to say a 75W or 100W. Therefore, the bulb draws 14w, but puts out roughly the same as a 50W bulb.