Ceiling fan size?

Old 04-16-06, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan size?

We have another dilemma in the lighting/fan department, so hopefully someone out there can be as helpful as our last question.

We've been looking for ceiling fans for our family room for a while now and finally found one that we love how it looks. Only issue may be the size as it's only available as a 60". We were initially aiming for a 52" for whatever reason. Guess because most larger fans are that size.

Our room is 15'x19' with cathedral ceiling (12.5' at peak). Going by product box and using a 24" downrod, it should fit with plenty of clearance at that height. Bottom of blades would still be around 9.5' high.

This is definitely just an opinion or personal taste question, but would that work or could that fan possibly overtake the room itself?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-06, 11:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just think. If you ever sold your house, you could use this fan to your advangtage and say, "Look at the extra big ceiling fan you are getting. Not one of those puny 52 inch jobs!"

A bigger fan is going to move more air, even on the lowest speed, more than likely. And perhaps this aspect alone (too much air movement, even on slow speed) could be an annoyance to you. And then because of this a person might consider running the fan off a variable speed control dimmer switch to slow it down further. But I have read mixed things on this. I have seen ceiling fan motors on dimmer switches, while yet reading this is a no-no. And on an answer forum... I read that one should consult the fan manufacturer on this. I called up our local Menards and the guy working there said you should not do it and they sell a special variable 3-speed wall switch for ceiling fans for people who either don't want to use the pull chain or in high ceiling applications where they would rather have that switch rather than have long cords hanging down from the pull switches. He also said there is another switch that can be bought that goes inside the fan also. So, when you buy your fan, you might want to check all this out.

Regarding the asthetics: You could make something out of cardboard and hold it up there and see what you think it will look like, before you buy.