Ceiling light stays on after replacing fan...

Old 04-20-06, 08:09 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling light stays on after replacing fan...

I've checked the forum for an asnwer to this question already and saw several things similar, but not exactly the same as mine.

I recently took down an old ceiling fan and replaced it with a ceiling light fixture. The fixture has two bulbs... so two white wires, two black wires, one of each for each bulb... and a ground wire.

In the ceiling box there is one black wire, one white wire and one ground wire.

In the switch box there is one black wire, one white wire and one ground wire. The ground wire is grounded to the green screw. The white is connected to the unpainted screw and the black is connected to the black screw.

In the ceiling the black wire coming out of the box is connected to the two black wires from the light fixture. And the white wire in the ceiling box is connected to the two white wires from the light fixture. And the two ground wires are connected together.

There are no other wires in the ceiling coming out of the box, nor are there any other wires connected to the switch. And there aren't any other wires from the light fixture to connect to anything.

Looking at the set up it seemed so simple and straight forward... however, the light just stays on. I haven't tried switching anything around because I'm not sure what would happen once I switch the power back on. Don't want to blow the ceiling off

Any ideas?

Should I call a pro?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 04-20-06, 09:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It sounds as if your wiring is ok. You may have what we call a "soft switch". In reality the switch is broken internally, and it is stuck in one position no matter what position you place the toggle in. Does it feel any different than the other switches in the house? I would replace the switch first, and see if that helps. Post back with results.

Hold it. You said the switch had an unpainted terminal and a black terminal? How many screw terminals, not counting the green one does the switch have? Was the fan controlled by more than one switch?

Old 04-20-06, 10:44 PM
J
Cool... thanks for the reply!

I thought the same thing, so I bought a new switch and replaced the old one. The light still stays on.

The new switch has four connections to choose from. One green, one black, one copper and one brass. (I'm assuming that's what the metals are) I've tried the white wire on both the brass and copper and the light still stays on.

The old switch has three connections to choose from. One green and two brass. I tired the black and white in each connection and the light stayed on.

The fan was controlled by the one switch only.

Old 04-21-06, 05:22 AM
That is what I thought. It is a 3 way switch. You only need a spst switch, which will only have two brass screws plus the grounding lug (green), just like the original one. Try one more thing. Kill the power to the circuit, test it to make sure, take the switch out of the loop, cap off the black and white wires and turn the circuit back on. Does the light stay on? If so, you may have another switch involved. Post back and lets get this fixed.

Old 04-21-06, 10:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Sorry, mis-read OP.

Last edited by pcboss; 04-21-06 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-21-06, 04:21 PM
J
Received 294 Votes on 253 Posts
You don't have enough wires to make this work. There must be a junction box between the switch and the light. If the cable goes from the switch to the light then you don't have a power wire. You normally have at least two cable in one of the boxes.

Did the switch ever control the fan? I suspect the switch might control a receptacle on the wall ( or half a receptacle) and not the fan.
If you can find that switched receptacle then we might be able to rewire it so the switch controls the light instead.

Old 04-21-06, 07:54 PM
Joed, I think you hit Bingo on this one. After I posted, I thought about that, but was waiting for a reply.

Old 04-21-06, 08:41 PM
J
Whoa... so I tried the test where I disconnected the wires from the switch and sure enough, the light remained on!!

Fortunately, I have access to the interior of the wall that the switch box is on. So I looked and the wires that leave from the switch do not go to the ceiling... they go to a plug outlet just below the switch. There are no wires going into the ceiling from the switch box.

When the ceiling fan was in the switch controlled just the lights on the fan... not the fan itself. To operate the fan I had to pull the cord that dangled from the fixture.

There is one other switch plate in the room that has no switch... just a solid cover. I opened it and found only very, very old wires that were not capped. So I'm assuming they do nothing. (the house was built in 1895 so there's some odd bits here and there)

So do I need to crawl up into the ceiling area and see if there's a junction box up there? And if so... what do I need to do? Joed, you mentioned that the switch might control a receptacle in the wall. Could this receptacle be in the ceiling close to the actual light?

I really appreciate your help so far!! Thank you!!

Old 04-22-06, 08:50 AM
J
Received 294 Votes on 253 Posts
The switch could not have controlled the light only with the wires you have told us.
The receptacle that the switch controlled was probably the one the switch wire went into. You need to trace the wire from the ceiling and see if it goes to the same receptacle box as the switch. Then tell us ALL the wires in the fan box, receptacle box and switch box and how they are connected. Look very closely at the receptacle and see if the tab between the brass screws is removed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: