High Ceiling Track Lighting Bulb Changing Failures

Old 05-01-06, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
High Ceiling Track Lighting Bulb Changing Failures

I have two four bulb track light units about 16 feet above the floor. Yesterday I replaced two of these with bulbs using a suction cup long pole changer. This was the first I had done from the floor; all others previously I had done without incident from a ladder hence the "reach" was perhaps 12 feet rather than 16. The lights worked ok and all seemed to be ok except that getting them to feed into the sockets was a problem because of alignment and a not too stable mounting for the light on the track. I am not aware that I over tightened the bulbs in any way.

Last night one of the bulbs fell to the floor obviously shattering all over. But the base of the bulb remained in the socket creating a new problem. Strange I thought. Today the second one did exactly the same thing. Unbelievable I thought. In both cases the light banks were off and had been off for a considerable time.

Anyone had this experience? What are the reasons for both bulbs to fail? How do I solve my dilemma now?

tjthiel

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-06, 06:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm sure you'd hate to go out and rent scaffolding to change your bulb... or invest in an 8 foot step ladder and place a 4 foot high platform under the ladder and go up there...or go buy a 12 foot step ladder (they have those). {You MAY want to consider this]

You could secure a potato on the end of a pole... but I don't care for that potato trick because of the juice getting into the socket. You may try to find a chunk of rubber and carve it, by experimenting with a socket down on the ground (any socket from any lamp). Then drill, countersink and screw this ball of rubber onto the end of a pole, to use as your extractor.

Obviously, you have to start getting better at establishing a better "feel" for if your bulbs are screwing into the sockets correctly...or when to quit screwing (so hard).