Missing Green Ground Wire on Ceiling Fan

Old 05-07-06, 04:47 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Missing Green Ground Wire on Ceiling Fan

This is yet another ceiling fan question - but I could not find the answer here yet.

I have a used ceiling fan with light kit that has one black, one white and one blue wire. The green ground wire is missing (ie it's been cut off).

The wires coming from the ceiling are black and white only. The house is probably 40-50 years old and previously had a light in the place I want to install the fan.

Is it safe to install this fan without the ground wire (ie fire hazard), and could someone advise what I do with the blue wire.

If it's not recommended to install this fan without a ground wire that's okay, just let me know your thoughts on this one.

Thanks in Advance.
Goddess

Old 05-07-06, 10:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It is possible the grounding in your house is achieved via metal boxes and bx cable. If that is the case, you won't have a separate bare wire for grounding, and by installing the grounding wire from your fan directly to the metal box via a green grounding screw will provide proper grounding. If you have separate light/fan controls you will split the fan and light. The blue wire goes to the light and the black will go to the fan. But if you don't control them separately at a wall switch, then attach both the black and blue wire to the black wire from the ceiling. That way you will have to use the pull chains to adjust the fan speed or turn off the light and leave the fan running. The wall switch will completely turn off both the fan and light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: