What should I connect the light blue wire to?

Old 05-07-06, 06:49 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What should I connect the light blue wire to?

I purchased a light fixture from Ikea that has 3 wires coming out of the white electrical cord on the light fixture (one black, one white and one LIGHT BLUE) + 1 green/yellow ground wire. I connected the white wall wire to white fixture wire, black wall wire to black fixture wire, but what do I do with the light blue wire? There is no wire coming out of the wall to connect it to. Can I just cap it off and connect it to nothing?

Thanks.

Old 05-07-06, 08:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It is possible this was intended for use in a ceiling fan, where the fan uses the black wire and the light uses the blue wire. Can you look deeper and see where the wires connect inside the fixture. This may give a good insight as to whether or not you can cap it off or use it and cap off the black. Let us know where it goes.

Old 05-07-06, 10:13 AM
B
I tried capping off the blue wire

I connected the white to white, black to black and capped off the blue. The light worked perfectly. Later, however, I went back to turn on the light switch and it wouldn't turn on. Could this have anything to do with the capped blue wire?

Old 05-07-06, 10:39 AM
Yes, but without knowing where the wires go, I can't tell you where to hook it up. DIdn't it come with instructions for installation?

Old 05-07-06, 12:57 PM
From your pix, the blue wire is inconsequential, unlessi it has a remote control function. Check all your connections and try it again with the blue wire capped. So no installation instructions, huh?

Old 05-07-06, 01:14 PM
OK, Ikea sells European and US products, and the extra wire is probably for EU wiring which is 220v, and is not used in the US. Not 100%, but after googling several sites, that seems to be the concensus.

Old 05-07-06, 02:52 PM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
Looks like it might be a green for ground? What's at the other end of the setup, at plug?

Old 05-07-06, 05:46 PM
F
if you look at the wire the bleu is genrally used as netrual in european area but if it came with insturction some lumiaires do have dual voltage connection for some reason but i will be more glad if you have photo of the whole lumiaire so i can get the idea more clear and type of bulb it is using like low voltage or line voltage bulb type etc etc

thanks

Merci, Marc

Old 05-07-06, 06:26 PM
I don't know, Joed, they said there was a green/yellow striped wire, also, so I figured that was the grounding wire, although this wire does look like a puky green-blue, or bleu in french. The EU configuration seems to be the one, but not sure.

Old 05-08-06, 04:36 PM
J
Received 295 Votes on 254 Posts
I reread about the yellow/green wire but I don't see it in the picture. Would be nice to see the entire setup.

Old 05-08-06, 08:28 PM
B
looks like the answer is: cap the blue wire

So I capped the blue wire (as I had originally had it installed before wondering why it had stopped working) and it works again. I think that the way I had it connected wasn't as tight/secure as it is now, so that's why it's working now. Thanks for all the feedback though, as I've come to realize that the blue wire is probably for the European market.

Old 05-09-06, 03:14 PM
C
It looks to me, the blue is a 3rd line in the drop, and likely is ground. I am just saying, that's all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: