Use of pendant lights on recessed light can?

Old 05-11-06, 09:55 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Use of pendant lights on recessed light can?

I'm doing a kitchen update and want to use pendant lighting instead of the 6" recessed cans I currently have, but I don't want the pain of pulling the cans out of the ceiling + drywall work. Has anyone out there found a way to convert a pendant cord so it can just be screwed into the lightbulb base?
Thanks
FSF

Old 05-11-06, 02:03 PM
F
few years back we used have a pendent conversion kit but right now i doubt they do make it anymore due the safety reason.

the weight of pendent lumiaire can pull the socket out of the place. [ i did see few of that happend ]

the only sure way i can tell you if ok or not is you have to remove the light bulb and see the label inside the can it will genrally tell the manufacter name and model number [ you may have to remove the trim peice to get the reading if have to ]

as far i know there was two or three company did make that but i really doubt they still makeing that anymore

maybe you have to look around with lighting centre or electrical supply centre or big box store maybe they have something but i cant say they will have it on stock so look around

Merci, Marc

Old 05-16-06, 11:04 AM
T
Converting Can Light to Pendant Lighting

This is possible to do. There is a kit called "The Can Converter" which will allow you to convert a recessed light either into a pendant, or a ceiling fan. Everything is included in the kit, including a cover plate.

If you go to Lightinguniverse.com, they have the kits available. There is also a "Can Converter" website, where you can order directly from them. (Their website includes a PDF with step-by-step guidelines.)

Hope this helps!

Old 05-16-06, 11:07 AM
T
Can Converter

BTW, it supposedly has a 30lb weight load limit...the website is called www.thecanconverter.com.

Old 10-01-06, 09:39 PM
L
There are problems with certain conversion lighting products, especially where a remodel fixture exists or an integrated trim is used. In these cases, the weight of the light is greater than the sprongs that support the fixture of trim. The end product is a seperation form the ceiling after the new pendent light is hung.

One the suppliers of one product seems to have overcome these problems and offers a wide range of pendant lights. Take a look at awellhunglight.com for details.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: