Motion light won't turn off....Help

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-06, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Motion light won't turn off....Help

All of a sudden today when I came home. Early this afternoon I noticed my motion light above my garage was on. It's now pitch black out and the light is still on.
I've turned off switches so that it will not stay on continually and I've swithed the switch to test and back and it still stays on. Any sugesstions out there?
Thanks Karen

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-06, 07:26 PM
there is a possiblty that the power surge did killed the motion detcetor lumiaire.

most motion detector devices are very senstive to power surge that what it will fry the electronic control system and i did read other part about the garage door opener the light wont go out i am sure it is the same thing as well.

first thing is replace the motion detector lumiaire [ genrally dont cost very much in big box store]

but unforetally with garage door opener you may have to contact the manufacter for replacement circuit board which i dont know what the cost due hard to see what kind of garage door opener device you have. [ some case i say some case it cheaper to get new GDO over cost of circuit board device depending on age of GDO is ]

Merci, Marc

P.S. you may have to check around the house for any electronic devices it might get hit from power surge also if so please let us know possibity you have loose netrual circuit which you call the poco first to see if their side is ok , if ok then try to call a electricican to come out this part is very tricky to find the loose wire[s] in the house

Old 05-12-06, 07:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And it's not even Friday the 13th!...thank god. (Missed it this year by only one day! Whew!)

Old 05-12-06, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your advice. I'll give it a try in the morning and I'll let you know.....

Old 05-12-06, 07:35 PM
french277v Thanks for your advice. I'll give it a try in the morning and I'll let you know.....

Old 05-12-06, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Karen, before you get too deep into it, try this:

Take the switch that controls the fixture and flip it on. Now, in less than a second flip it to off and back to on. If your motion detectors are like mine that might fix it. They have a circuitry in them that allows you to toggle between motion detector and plain on-off fixture that way. The switch sequence might be off-on-off vice on-off-on, but you get the idea.

Hope this helps.

TG

Old 05-12-06, 11:28 PM
Thanks tow guy for the advice, but that didn't work. I tried it already because the other motion light I have will shut off like you sugessted with the switch. I'll probably just have to replace it. Thanks for the ideas thou...

Old 07-13-13, 01:08 AM
Mirabella Sensor Light - Fixed it not turning off

I had a problem of my sensor light (a Mirabella sensor) not turning off, staying on permanently. This happened when my power circuit safety switch kicked in, turning all the power off.

I fixed it by turning off the light at the MAINS (ie, switchboard) for more than 10 seconds & then turning it back on. This resets it back to sensor mode. The instruction manual actually advised this & luckily I found the instruction manual, otherwise I would of kept flicking the switch on & off as advised elsewhere on this post.

Hope this helps someone out. To sum up, switch the sensor light off at the MAINS (switchboard) for more than 10 seconds. Once you turn the mains back on, wait a while (30 seconds for me), and you will see the light turn off.

Old 07-15-13, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums, Damien.

While it's usually helpful to have more advice on a problem, this thread was finished more than 7 years ago and the OP hasn't been back since, so it's doubtful if there's any value in adding advice on this point. In addition:

Tech Note: It makes no difference whether a circuit is opened at a circuit breaker or at a switch. Open is open and closed is closed, and no device has the ability to determine where that happened, let alone to react differently based on that information. The valuable point here may be
turning off the light... for more than 10 seconds & then turning it back on.
Some devices require a bit of time to complete a reset.

This thread is closed to additional posts, but available for reading.

Closed Thread