Adding a ceiling light to an existing switch

Old 05-12-06, 10:14 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a ceiling light to an existing switch

We just moved into our new place and noticed that all the rooms don't have any ceiling lights. There are switches on the wall that control the bottom of one of the outlets, but no ceiling light. Therefore I was hoping to add a ceiling light and wondered how hard this would be to do. Can I jut add it to the existing switch? Here is what I noticed when I took the panel off the switch and the plug controlled by the switch:

Switch:
- has three sets of wires coming into the back of the casing; a 3-wire cable from the top left, a 4-wire cable from the top right, and a 3-wire cable fom the bottom left
- all the white wires a bundled together
- all the black wires are bundled together, with another wire that is attached to the switch
- the red wire of the 4-wire cable is connected to the switch
- the grounds are connected together to the casing

Plug:
- has two sets of wires coming into the back of the casing; a 3-wire cable from the top right, a 4-wire cable from the top left
- all the white wires a bundled together with another wire that is attached to the switch
- all the black wires are bundled together, with another wire that is attached to the switch
- the red wire of the 4-wire cable is connected to the switch
- the grounds are connected together to the casing

I also went up into the attic and it looks like a wire is coming up from where the wall that is switch is on and leads over the wall where the plug is. Not sure if is a 3-wire or a 4-wire.

Is it as simple as tapping into this wire in the attic and cutting a
hole in the ceiling for the wiring? If so, how do I test to make sure this is the right wire? I should also mention I am hoping to install the light on a dimmer switch if possible.

Any help is appreciated?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-06, 07:59 AM
J
Received 247 Votes on 217 Posts
If that wire is the one from the switch to the light then it is as simple as cutting into it, installing a box and then running a cable over to your new light. You will need to rewire the receptacle unless you want it to remain switched. That could be done in your new box where you cut the cable.

The cable from the switch to the receptacle will be labeled either 14/3 or 12/3. If the cable in the attic is not labeled that way then it is not the right cable. If it is labeled like then it it possibly is the correct one.

Old 05-13-06, 08:19 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need to install a junction box in the attic or can I just connect the wire in the attic into the ceiling box, and then continue from the ceiling box, back to the receptical?

Old 05-13-06, 12:45 PM
J
Received 247 Votes on 217 Posts
All connections must be made in junction boxes. If you can make the wires reach the new ceiling box that is fine to be used as a junction box.