A 4-way switch installation issue

Old 05-15-06, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A 4-way switch installation issue

Hello,

I tried to installed a 4-way switch within 2 3-way controlled light, Without 4-way switch, both 3-way can control light well,

After I installed 4-way switch, seems this 4-way switch is a master one, as soon as I turn it off, neither one of 3-way can turn on light....

My diagram is power from one 3-way switch, then to the light, then 4-way switch to another 3-way switch...
3-way to 3-way is quite common, black wire as common, white and red are runners...
So in the postion of 4-way switch, the white connect by nuts, two pair of black and red are connected to the input and output of 4-way switch..

I read books, it gives me an impression that the power needs to start from light fixture to get them to work properly, is it right?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-06, 01:24 PM
to wire up 4 way switch somehow can get very tricky here

So in the postion of 4-way switch, the white connect by nuts, two pair of black and red are connected to the input and output of 4-way switch..
3-way to 3-way is quite common, black wire as common, white and red are runners

ok here what you did wrong here when you hook up a 4 way switch [ make sure this is not a double pole single throw switch both look the same but it is not inside at all ]

you have to have black "common " wire wirenutted at the 4 way switch location then you get red and white travallers [ runners ] hook up with 4 way switch this is the only way it will work propely

After I installed 4-way switch, seems this 4-way switch is a master one, as soon as I turn it off, neither one of 3-way can turn on light....
that the reason why you got the black common wire hook up to this 4 way switch it act like a single pole switch so very simple way to clear up the curpit is redo the connetcion on the 4 way switch by wire nutted the black then get the trallvers hook up right but one warning there is two diffrent way the 4 way switch can be hook up if you know what switch manufacter it is then i can able to tell you the correct hookup due the switching sequice inside the switch can get tricky

Merci, Marc

P.S. for safety sake make sure you turn off the breaker before you work on the switch

Old 05-15-06, 03:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
You need to make sure that the wires out of each cable jacket are paired correctly on the 4W terminals. Two of the screws should be a different color from the other 2, perhaps 2 black and 2 brass. The pair of travellers from one cable must be connected to the same colored screws, the travellers from the other cable go to the opposite pair of screws.

Old 05-17-06, 08:59 PM
It is so cool, french277V , it is really impressed.. WORKING...

Old 05-17-06, 11:59 PM
i am glad to help ya out on this one and wish you the luck with other project in your place

Merci, Marc