Changing/taking down ceiling light

Old 06-10-06, 06:14 PM
suziebr
Visiting Guest
Changing/taking down ceiling light

I have a square (about 14" x 14") light in my kitchen ceiling operated by a light switch on the outer wall of kitchen. It's not recessed, it hangs down from the ceiling, but is somehow affixed to the ceiling tightly. The ceiling light was installed when my place was built in the late 80's. We haven't used the light all that often, and now want to change the light. The outer material is a fake wood and there's a thick frosted square piece of glass set up and in the fake wood. The square frame will twist around 360 degrees plus, but it wont come down. I can see in the right side when I push up the glass, which barely moves. Up and in that right side, I can see a small spring like, or wire fixture that seems to be holding the glass in place in 2 spots about an inch from each other. I have no idea how to take this down. I wont mind busting it down if I have to, perhaps one of the corners with a seam can be pryed, but was wondering if there's an easier fix? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
We've never had to change the light bulb so never had to deal with this light. Thank you.

Old 06-10-06, 06:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is highly doubtful that any pry tool is required for removal. You either have a lens cover that lifts up some and you must slide over to the side, some, and then down... or perhaps yours has spring clips that hold up the lens, and you literally just pull down on it. I had one in a commercial building this way, and it gave me fits till I simply pulled down on it and it just released. Then to reinstall, you just push it back up and it snaps back in place. In another business we have 4 foot square lens covers (4 foot fluorescents are up inside) that are down from the ceiling 5 inches or so... and to remove these was tricky, also I remember. I think with these I have to slide it over to the side one way, which allows the other side to drop.

Old 06-12-06, 05:50 AM
suziebr
Visiting Guest
It worked!!!

Thank you for the advice on getting that ceiling light down. You were right in saying to just pull it evenly, and the springs up in the fixture released so it came down a few inches, and I was able to disconnect the springs and get the heavy glassed fixture down. I then unscrewed the round nut in the very middle of the ceiling above where the fixture was, which enable me to take down the top part of the fixture, and then disconnect all the wires. I then installed a ceiling fan with a light. The entire process from start to finish took me 1:50 hr. For an amatuer, I thought it was pretty good. The new fan/light works perfectly. Thanks again for the info! It helped. Suziebr

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: