Hanging an outside ceiling fan.

Old 06-24-06, 10:50 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hanging an outside ceiling fan.

Hi I have an aluminum patio cover.There was a smaller ceiling fan installed when we had the patio cover installed.I now want to change it to a Palm Beach 48" ceiling fan to replace the other.The electric is there,but not in a box,and the mount for the old fan was just mounted to the aluminum.I don't believe that the weight(35lbs) of the new fan can just mount the same as the old.What can I do to support the weight of the new fan?
Someone mentioned a fan beam.
I'm going to add one to the other side too,but I need to run electric and the rest of things to install it.
I'd apprecite any help.

Thanks,Tom

Old 06-24-06, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Tom, welcome to the forums. In order to mount a fan rated box, you may have to install a beam between two of the ceiling framing members. What are the dimensions of the ceiling framing? Some fan rated boxes are attached by means of two u-bolts, and you may be able to use one of these, provided the framing members are the right size. Is the frame covered with canvas, or another material?

Old 07-01-06, 09:25 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fan box

Safe-t-box make a good fan box with the beam bars. try and get the older version. they just came out with a new make without the u-bolts and it is a pain to get box screwed to the clamp obove the bar beam. the older make with the u bolt is easier to attach. Guess engineer who designed new make was not an electrician who has to put one up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: