1000W dimmer that doesn't sing

Old 06-28-06, 10:11 AM
wgc
1000W dimmer that doesn't sing

Does anyone have any recommendation (and advice on how to find) a 1000W dimmer that doesn't "sing".

One of my first electrical projects in my new (to me) house was replacing an overloaded 600W dimmer running 900W of Halogen lighting. However my local big box store only had one dimmer rated that high and it was their cheapest one (and ugly). However we almost never use it because the bulbs are so noisy when dimmed.

I've seen threads here with similar stories where the recommendation is to get heavier duty bulbs or a better dimmer. I'm not aware of heavier duty halogen bulbs so I guess I need to try a different dimmer. I just checked again, and that is still the only 1000W dimmer they carry.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-06, 06:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
I just googled "1000 watt dimmer", and www.dimmers.net came up offerring a vast array of dimmers. Check it out. Or since you don't use it regularly, replace it with a regular switch.

Old 06-29-06, 11:08 AM
wgc
How about Leviton Illumatech?

The dimmer I have is one of those cheap Skylark slide models.

I like the Leviton Illumatech switches for looks and have them in other rooms. Does anyone recommend or not recommend these for noise in the bulbs? Is it likely to fix the issue or just waste $50? These are still pretty cheap.

It was tough to find on their site since it isn't cross-linked with the 600W version and doesn show up in a search for 1000W, but the description is here:
http://www.levitonproducts.com/catal...FD188&pid=1208
(If the link doesn't work, it is model IP10-LAW).

Old 07-03-06, 08:14 AM
all dimmers rated for 1000W will support that load, but the lamp will still hum.

you can use a cheap dimmer or an expensive one. Since the problem is not in the dimmer, you will be hard pressed to solve the problem to replacing the dimmer.

The problem is the lamp. the standoff holding the filament in place is generally the culprit. This causes the filament ti vibrate and this is the noise you hear.

In your case though, the filament is so darn long that it will vibrate on its own.

Looks for something to smooth out the signal, like a line conditioner or a lamp debuzing coil. Or if so inclined, play around with some inductors till you find a coil that will rid the noise.

have fun

Old 10-30-06, 10:04 AM
wgc
arcing

Updating this in case it is useful to anyone ...

I ended up leaving it alone and just used full brightness this whole time. However it kept getting worse until one bulb went out: finally, silence.

However, the replacement bulb wouldn't work either. I took another look at the old bulb and there was no sign of a break in the filament, but the contact on one end is black and pitted. All this time the noise was some arcing that I would have paid a LOT more attention to if I realized what was happening.

For now that sconce is disconnected, but when I get a chance I'll take it down and take a look at it. Other than cleaning the contact and looking for any blackened wiring or insulation, is there anything else I should look for?

Old 10-30-06, 01:40 PM
Upvotes Received: 50
Replace the socket. You can't clean the contacts once they have arced.