Installing Electronic Timer For Bathroom Fan

Old 07-01-06, 05:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Electronic Timer For Bathroom Fan

I have two light switches in one "box". One controls a light and the other controls the fan. The two use the same wire on one pole (serial connection?). I have successfully installed a new switch for the light but cannot get the Intermatic fan-timer switch to work. There are four connections in the switch -- red, white, black, and green. I have the black wire (which is also connected to the light switch), the red, and the white wire connected together. For the other two wires, I have black-to-black and green-to-ground. When I turn on the fan, it phases in and out operating at a lower speed than when I used the regular toggle switch. I have tried all types of combinations but none of the others would give power to the unit. I have already replaced the unit and the same thing happens with the new timer switch.

While I am somewhat handy, I am not an expert on home wiring. Are there any thoughts or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-06, 08:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
You will need to check to see if the timer switch requires a neutral connection. Do you have a neutral connection available in the switch box?

Without seeing a wiring diagram I would guess that the timer connections would be black=power in, red= switched power out to fan, white to neutral, and ground to grounds.

Old 07-01-06, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have an Intermatic E1200C Countdown Timer Switch. There are three cables coming into the box. The light switch is connected to one black wire, a ground and another black wire which is then connected to the fan switch. The fan switch has another black wire coming into it. The three white wires (one from each of the three cables) are connected to each other but not to any other switch/device. Both switches are grounded separately.

For the timer switch, I have the one black connected to the black wire, the other black connected to the switch is connected the the red & white wires. The green is connected to th ground.

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ...