Which puts out more light?

Old 07-03-06, 07:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which puts out more light?

A 500W quartz halogen vs 150W high pressure sodium fixture. What about bulb life and replacement costs?

Old 07-03-06, 08:04 AM
D
Originally Posted by RoseRx
A 500W quartz halogen vs 150W high pressure sodium fixture. What about bulb life and replacement costs?

500W quartz halogen = ~ 11,000 lumens, 100hr life, about 10 bucks replacements

150W HPS = ~ 16,000 lumens, 24,000 hr lamp life and about 24 bucks replacment

at least according to Google

Old 07-03-06, 09:02 AM
R
DB,

Thanks for the info. What about energy consumption? I know the quartz halogens generate a fair amt of heat.

G S.

Old 07-03-06, 09:41 AM
D
A 500W bulb draws about 2.5 times the energy as the 150W bulb does. Eergy consumption is directly related to the Wattage of the bulb. The W after the number 500 and 150 is referring to wattage. So really the question to be answered is really which one is more efficient and to that the answer is teh HPS, if best bang for you buck is the goal

Old 07-03-06, 10:32 AM
R
DB,

Sounds good, especially since I have had problems w/ circuit overload w/ the 500W quartz halogens. How long is the warm-up time w/ the HPS?

G S.

Old 07-03-06, 12:41 PM
D
not sure, I never really timed it. I can tell you that most street lights use HPS bulbs. so maybe measure a street light turning on?

actually HPS can be idetifired when initially struck because the color of the lamp is a light red when first struck for a few moments

Old 07-03-06, 12:44 PM
What are you lighting ?? Sodiums don't put out a very good quality of light. A metal halide would be much better quality of light.

Old 07-03-06, 01:36 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Let me chime in here if the HPS [ hi pressure soidum ] lumiaire is used for dusk to dawn sectecry it is fine as long you can put up with yellow colour the lumiaire put out.

but if you only want to be on like a hour or so not all nite type Quatz can do this nicely but will genrate alot of wattage what you want and of course the heat too .

but for myself i rather use the Metal Halide sure it might cost little more than standard HPS lumiaire but you get far better colour more like cool white floursecent bulb colour.

the biggest factor is how big the area you want to light up and how long you will leave this on like a hour or few hours or all nite like street light lumiaire do .

so as long you provide more infomation we can help you guide to correct lumiaire.

P.S. yeah there are some outdoor lumiaire used compact floursecent light as well but some dont work in cold weather at all just give you a head up for choosing this set up

Merci , Marc

i almost forgot the other thing i did overlook real quick

the HPS start up [ warm up ] will take 2 to 5 min but restrike will take from few sec to 2 min then will ramp up to correct brightness

the Metal Halide start up useally take 2 to 10 min dependin on bulb type and the " starting system " but to relight it will varies pretty wild from 5 min to long as 25 min or more

the flourscent is pretty fast starter but take a min or two to get full bightness especally if cold restrike is about very fast restarter

Old 07-03-06, 09:07 PM
R
I am using it for outside garden lighting.

Which is the type lighting used in high crime urban areas?

Old 07-03-06, 09:10 PM
R
P.S. I forgot to mention, that I don't burn the lights all night, maybe for an hour or two so several times per week.

Old 07-04-06, 10:15 AM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
after you choice the lumiaire you want they do come in flood verison or wall mounted or few other kinds of type of lumiaires

and where you will plan to mount the lumiaire on the wall of the building or on pole ??

for 150 watts HPS or 150 / 175 W Metal Halide they have in both flood or wall pack verison but the cost it pretty much up to you what lumiaire you choose.

stop by any Lighting centre or electrical supply centre i am sure they can help you with some slection of lumiaire but big box store like HD , Lowes, Mendards,,, etc etc may have limited slection but can special order it if need to.

the other thing is
I am using it for outside garden lighting.
how big this outside garden area it is ?? if small area you can get by with smaller lumiaire

those question i will like to heard from you so we in this forum can help you get the proper slection of lumiaire.

in my back yard i do have big lumiaire to light up the whole yard it have 400 watt MH that really light up like daylight lol

anyway give us little more info we can help you get right on

there are so many manufacters do make the lumiaire and styles you just can't belive it

Merci , Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: