Recessed ceiling light placement

Old 07-17-06, 01:21 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed ceiling light placement

I want to add 3 ceiling lights at each end of an "L" spaced sofa and in the corner.

Is there a rule of thumb concerning the distance from the light to the wall? I have seen some that are 3' and 4' feet away from the wall. I was planing on maybe 12 inches or so and allow the light to wash the wall.

I would use 6" cans with white trim and 65 watt floods.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-06, 07:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You can install the light that close to the wall if you want it to wash it. Just make sure you are getting light where you need it as well. If it is too close to the wall you may not have adequate lighting near your sofa. If you mount the light at least 3' out and decide later that all you want to do is wash the wall, you can always install a diffuser or half moon in the fixture to redirect the light.

Old 07-17-06, 08:57 PM
D
The lights will be used mainly for reading. If I place the lights between the reading material and the wall, a distance of about 3', then 18" would seem to be about right.

If I go out too far, like 4' then the light will not strike the reading material with enough light.

TFTH

Old 07-18-06, 02:24 PM
You've got it figured. Stand back and make sure, if you move the sofa the light will be in a good place should you move a table, or some other piece of furniture there. Otherwise, you are good to go.

Old 07-18-06, 02:28 PM
D
I cut three black 6" circles out of some heavy duty material and used a push pin to hold them on the ceiling. Will see what the wife has to say.

Old 07-18-06, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
Depending on the style of trim and the bulb the circle of light from a recessed will be about the same diameter as the distance from the ceiling. For example a table 3' foot tall would have a 5' diameter of light, the floor would be about 8' diameter.

These are rough guidelines only, but should put you in the ballpark.

Old 07-18-06, 03:24 PM
D
I am going to try the 65 watt flood, I have some already, and will see what a 65 watt spot looks like.

The lights are going to be controlled by a Lutron Maestro IR Dimmer, so when the TV is on we can dim the lights.

Old 07-18-06, 06:23 PM
Your previous post was a wise move. Once "final" approval is given, then proceed. Roger that!!

Old 07-18-06, 07:18 PM
D
She is thinking about it, but has given the okay to get the fixtures.

Old 07-23-06, 09:57 AM
D
I got tired of using the drywall circle cutter for the lights so I found some Milwaukee carbide grit hole saws that are made to cut drywall for recessed.

I am using 6" lights so I ordered the 49-56-0305 hole saw, which is 6 3/8"

I believe there are 4 hole saws made by Milwaukee for cutting drywall and they range from about 4" to 6 7/8".

So if I use a plastic house plant tray, to catch the dust, with a hole in the middle for the hole saw shaft, I should be able to knock these things out pretty quick.

Now all I need is a drill shaft long enough so I can cut the holes from the floor.

My dimmer has not come yet, but should be here Monday or Tuesday. I already have swapped out the single gang box for a new double gang box with the new wiring already for the dimmer.