Kitchen Recessed Lights - how to place - HELP!

Old 07-25-06, 06:54 AM
K
klt
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Recessed Lights - how to place - HELP!

I am remodeling the kitchen and want to place recessed lights some distance in front of the upper cabinets to light the counter for task lighting. I will also have undercab lights, so that area will be lit. The recessed lights will extend somewhere between 12" and 24" from the wall so that they are located in front of a person standing at the counter so that the person's head does not block the light. I will also have a chandelier for ambient light in my small kitchen, so the recessed lights will serve more as task lighting, with ambient lighting being a secondary goal. The ceiling height is 104" and the distance from the recessed light to the counter is 68". Here's my questions: 1) How far from the upper cabs should I place the recessed cans...18"?; 2) What size cans can I use? The distance between opposite counters is 66" and since I have a center light fixture, I think that 4" cans would be plenty and 5" might be too overwhelming. I think that I would prefer the 4" because the kitchen is small.; 3) How far apart should I place the cans in line along the string of cabinets?; 4) Am I OK to use baffle trim for generalized lighting versus eyeball? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks. Kim

Old 07-26-06, 05:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Since light travels at 186,200 miles a second, the distance from the counter won't matter. I think your idea of making sure they are in front of the user to prevent shadowing is on track. Likewise I believe 4" cans will be sufficient with halogen bulbs, and directional diffusers to concentrate the light beam.
On the other hand, I wouldn't have a chandelier within 40 feet of a kitchen. Keeping the naturally airborne grease, dirt, etc off it will be a major task.
I would take the full distance of the countertop and divide it up equally from a centerline, and place them about 3' apart, space allowing. Hope this helps. Post back if we can help further.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: