Track lighting with a life of its own

Old 07-26-06, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Track lighting with a life of its own

I am having a problem with some track lighting I installed about a month ago. It is a pretty basic track lighting system, with a curvable track. The problem is that one or another of the lights at any given time seem to be getting no power. Walking into the room can make a light turn on or off, as can tilting one of the lights by hand. The actual lights are attached by little screws to either side of the track. To fix th eproblem, I've tried moving where the problem lights hang on the track, tightening and loosening screws - the usual. Finally, I tried tilting a couple of the lights permanently with invisible fishing line, just because I was frustrated and wanted the light to work. That was the closest I have come to fixing the problem.

Any suggestions? I have been busy enough at work that my current solution is simply not using the light.

I would, however, like coming home to a living room that doesn't talk back when I turn on the lights.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-06, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
First, are the lights compatible with the track. DId you buy them at the same time in the same box? Are they installed properly, or 180 degrees off? It can make a difference. When you installed the track, did you over tighten the screws holding the track to the ceiling? It can tend to deform the shape of the track and cause an ill fit.

Old 07-26-06, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply,

Yes the track and lights were purchased together from IKEA in the same package.

I did tighten the screws going into the ceiling quite a bit, so I will try loosening those.

As for installing 180 degrees off, I am not sure what you mean. I have tried unscrewing the lights from the track and re-installing them so the opposite screw is now attached to the opposite side of the track. Should I try some other 180 degree turn?

Since you speak of deforming the track, is it possible that I have over-curved the track itself? Right now the track is an S shape with a bit of extra curve in one end. If I straightened this out, might I get enough power to all the lights?

Thanks again for the suggestions. I will be relieved not to buy a new light if I can help it.

Old 07-26-06, 07:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
No....you said the magic word -- IKEA. Alot of their lighting products come wired for European applications, which is 240 volts. If you still have the instruction sheet, check out which wires they suggest hooking to your light. We have had several posts on IKEA lighting, and for USA installation, you may have to cap off a wire.
You have turned the heads 180 degrees in the track, maybe that will help. Post back with results.