2 story foyer lighting

Old 07-30-06, 12:45 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 story foyer lighting

I have a 2 story foyer with a simple builders light hanging from the ceiling. I'm thinking about changing it myself but can't find a ladder that will reach that high (tried Home Depot and Lowes). If i'm able to find a fold up ladder that tall I doubt it will fit in a pick up truck or van. Any suggestions where I might be able to find something that will safely support me high up there in a 2 story foyer?

Thanks in advanced!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-06, 01:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How high is high in your situation?

Old 07-30-06, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 6 Posts
You will need at least a 16 foot step ladder, and you would probably be standing above the recommended limit of the ladder.

Go to a rental tool store and check out scaffolding to see if it would fit in your foyer.

Old 07-30-06, 02:54 PM
the rental company should also have a lift for one person that should be small anough to get through a door and get you that high.

Old 08-01-06, 09:38 AM
wgc
remember you will have to replace bulbs

When you replace this fixture, remember you will eventually have to replace bulbs. Will you need to get up there again any time soon or can you choose a fixture to make it easier?

Will the fixture be hanging at a more easy to reach level so a standard ladder wil work? There are extendable poles that may work, if you have an open fixture with a standard bulb pointing down, but probably will not with non-standard bulbs, closed fixtures, or sockets pointing up. You might also consider something with CFLs so you won't need to be up there again for a couple of years.

Old 08-02-06, 10:04 AM
Outrageous labor charge

I have the same problem/situation. I want to change the cheap builder's light to a grander chandelier. My ceiling is about 18 feet high and none of my ladders can reach that high. HomeDepot and Lowes quoted me for $200 just for the labor. Anybody knows any rental company which carries a electrical-hydrauilic "lift", and roughly how expensive for a one day rental? I don't prefer the scaffolding solution which maybe too much hassle, or the extendable ladder which leans on the wall so you still have to "lean out" to do the work, which is not very safe. Thanks

Old 08-22-06, 06:41 AM
Wink

I had the same problem, only I was not only changing out a close mount ceiling fan, but removing the ugliest wall paper I'd ever seen (it almost kept me from buying the house). Rental equipment would have been too costly for the time I needed it, scaffolding would have prevented use of the front door until the projects were finished. I ended up with an extension ladder, a tall stepladder (borrowed) , and one of those multi-angle ladders. These, along with a homemade ladder scaffold platform, let me get to just about any corner of the entry without putting me in an awkward position. I built a platform with 3 long 2X4's (mine had to be 8 ft, for a 11 ft wide entry, 1- 10inch 2X4 piece on either end, covered in a skin of 1/4 to 1/2 inch plywood. I even put a couple of screen door pull handles on one long side for carrying, because it is a little heavy compared to the purchased aluminum platforms. But mine was cheaper. The tricky part was placement of the ladders, to allow the platform to sit through the rungs. This setup allowed me to strip paper to the ceiling, paint a faux finish, and put a hanging entry light, including working over a stairwell to the basement (the height made me a little nervous). This was 8 years ago, and I've used all three ladders many times around the house, and the homemade scaffold will be out again soon for a redo of the entry, this time to include adding crown molding and one of those ceiling medallions you mount the light through. Good luck, and be careful! Handywoman PS. Definitely get a light that will be easy to change bulbs in. I have a heavy glass globe to remove to get to the bulbs, making changing a light bulb a two person job. (I'll be changing my light out soon.)