Best basement lighting...

Old 08-02-06, 01:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best basement lighting...

I did a search and came up with a couple of different ideas. One question I have is what is the best lighting for a basement? I do not have a lot of space above my hubby's head maybe 6 inches. I will be installing sheetrock in the basement and right now it has the ugliest flourescent light I have ever seen. What is good for lighting a basement (that is inexpensive as well)?

Old 08-02-06, 05:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Probably 6" can lights, since they will be flush to the ceiling surface and not hit his head.

Old 08-03-06, 12:49 PM
N
Sconces?

I'm going through the same dilema right now - low ceiling basement, how do I light it? My initial thought was to fill it with recessed cans, but after doing more research I'm afraid that would leave the ceiling and walls darker than I want, lending a "cave" feeling to the basement.

My best idea at the moment is to alternate some sconces and eyeball downlights along the perimeter - these should wash the walls and ceiling, making the place seem bigger and also provide visual interest. If needed, I'll fill in the middle with some cans, but I don't need too much light down there - just something even and nice.

Let us know what you decide!
Nate

Old 08-03-06, 01:35 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I agree with Chandler's recommendation for recessed lights. Properly sized and spaced, they will provide all the light you need and they won't bonk hubby on the head. If you paint your walls a light color you will get lots of bounce.
I recently installed 6" cans in my daughter's basement. She has a 7'4" drop ceiling.

Old 08-03-06, 01:45 PM
J
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
I agree with Chandler's recommendation for recessed lights. Properly sized and spaced, they will provide all the light you need and they won't bonk hubby on the head. If you paint your walls a light color you will get lots of bounce.
I recently installed 6" cans in my daughter's basement. She has a 7'4" drop ceiling.
If the walls are a dark color such as red, would that present a problem of "brightening" the basement? I suggested to hubb to paint the walls a bright red and mute it down with a smokey grey ceiling and the grey/black indoor/outdoor carpet.. any ideas?

Old 08-04-06, 07:12 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I suggested to hubb to paint the walls a bright red and mute it down with a smokey grey ceiling and the grey/black indoor/outdoor carpet.. any ideas?
The nice thing about paint is that if the color you select doesn't work out, you can always redo it.

If your ceiling isn't up yet, try mounting a can temporarily and note the light pattern. That should give you an idea of the coverage each light will provide. My only suggestion is that more is better than less. You can put quite a few 65 watt cans on a single 15 amp lighting circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: