What is a ceiling fan beam mount?

Old 08-03-06, 04:27 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is a ceiling fan beam mount?

I've got a long beam 4x6 (or 8) that I am going to hang a ceiling fan from. There is a junction box (if that's the right term) next to the beam that a flourescent light used to be attached to. I removed that (and will probably need to figure out how to get the wires over nicely with wire molding - but that's a whole different story).

Right now I'm concerned about how to attach the fan to the beam. Home Depot has got this sturdy metal box (that takes up to a 70 lb") fan. It looks like it could be used anywhere - on a beam, next to a joist. It doesn't specify being a "beam" mount. So my specific question is....

Is that what a beam mount is? Or is it a specialized product?

Also, if I do use this box - there will be a 2-3" gap from the bottom of the beam to the top of the fan's canopy. Any ideas on how to fix that? Should I just paint the mount the same color as the ceiling and hope no one notices?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-06, 04:33 PM
H
I think I may have answered my own question...but wouldn't mind clarification. A "beam" mount is NOT a an electrical junction box at all - but allows me to connect the fan directly to the beam (hence, no gap). Then I'll still need to run the wires to...wherever.

Sound about right?

Old 08-03-06, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Are you saying that you want to mount the fan rated box on the bottom of the beam?

If so you could install a 1/2" deep pancake box.

Old 08-03-06, 05:04 PM
H
Originally Posted by pcboss
Are you saying that you want to mount the fan rated box on the bottom of the beam?

If so you could install a 1/2" deep pancake box.
Well, I actually have no preference on how to mount it. Can I mount the fan directly to the beam? Or must a box first be installed? If the latter, then yes, I would like to mount the box directly to the beam.

I'm unfamiliar with pancake boxes (or their function). Did a quick web-search on the term. Just got lots of stuff on actual pancakes. Can you advise a better search term? And are you saying a pancake box INSTEAD of the fan rated box?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-06, 06:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Yes, you need an electrical box to make the splices in. The fan canopy is not enough, it must be used in conjunction withthe electrical box.

A pancake box is a electrical box that is only 1/2" deep. You can buy fan rated pancake boxes.

Try this link to see many options for fan boxes. The pancake box says steelpan box.
http://www.aifittings.com/arliprod_n.htm

Old 08-04-06, 12:38 PM
H
Thanks!

Looked at the steel pan - http://www.aifittings.com/whnew51.htm - seems right. Not very pretty, however. You think something like his would work also for an open beam....?

http://www.aifittings.com/n_3.htm

Old 08-04-06, 01:07 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The pancacke box is the thinnest box you can get. The problem with the pancake is that the only way to enter the box is from the back (or top, depending on perspective). That would mean that the box would either have to overhange the edge or you would need to drill the beam.

Is the beam structural or decorative?

The advantage of the pancake is that it is generally totally enclosed by the fans canopy and not seen at all.

Old 08-07-06, 01:14 PM
H
Originally Posted by nap
The pancacke box is the thinnest box you can get. The problem with the pancake is that the only way to enter the box is from the back (or top, depending on perspective). That would mean that the box would either have to overhange the edge or you would need to drill the beam.

Is the beam structural or decorative?

The advantage of the pancake is that it is generally totally enclosed by the fans canopy and not seen at all.
I think it's structural. Pretty sure about that. But actually, on a whim, I installed the fan on the box NEXT to the beam just to see how it looks...and it doesn't look that bad - so I'm just going to go with that. But thanks for the help (and the education!)

S

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: