Problem with Ceiling Fluorescent

Old 08-06-06, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with Ceiling Fluorescent

In the kitchen I have the usual fixture - two concentric circle fluorescent tubes. Lately, if I turn it on, it does not light up. It takes a few flips of the switch. It also doesn't like to go on again right after it has been turned off.

I think this type of fixture does not have starters, but has a ballast hidden in the ceiling (am I correct?) I don't know what can happen to a ballast.

I'm wondering if replacing the switch would help. It is what I believe they call a Mercury switch, i.e. there is no snap when you turn it on or off.

Thanks to anyone who has an idea.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-06, 07:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums. After de-energizing the circuit, pull the cover off the switch and remove the switch. Quite often the grounding wire is not connected to the green scew on the switch. These type fluorescents like grounding wires for some reason, and I have found they work better if it is hooked up. If it is operated via 3 way switches, check them both.
If it has an older ballast, it could be dying. Of course you can probably purchase another light unit cheaper than you can purchase just a ballast. Go figure.