low voltage/watt lights for backup

Old 08-14-06, 10:54 PM
tae
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
low voltage/watt lights for backup

Hi all. I want to install some lighting for when the power goes out. It will either be ran off of batteries/inverter or generator. I would like as much light as possible, but use the least amount of power of course. I don't know anything about lights really. Should i go with 12 volt if i use batteries, or should i look at led lights or flourescents? I want to light 5 rooms, the kitchen,bath,living,and 2 bedrooms. Any ideas? Any at all?

Also, i have a dual lite brand 6 volt battery emergency light. it has 2 lights. rated 90 minutes. I undid 1 of the lights and get over 3 1/2 hours good lighting. If i add a second battery, will the auto charger be able to handle it, or do you think it will burn up? just wondering.
Thanks for any info you can give!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-06, 06:31 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tae
Hi all. I want to install some lighting for when the power goes out. It will either be ran off of batteries/inverter or generator. I would like as much light as possible, but use the least amount of power of course. I don't know anything about lights really. Should i go with 12 volt if i use batteries, or should i look at led lights or flourescents? I want to light 5 rooms, the kitchen,bath,living,and 2 bedrooms. Any ideas? Any at all?

Also, i have a dual lite brand 6 volt battery emergency light. it has 2 lights. rated 90 minutes. I undid 1 of the lights and get over 3 1/2 hours good lighting. If i add a second battery, will the auto charger be able to handle it, or do you think it will burn up? just wondering.
Thanks for any info you can give!
If you want to run a lot of lights, and are willing to do the wiring, check out your local RV store. 12v flourescents are widely available and 12v power systems are common for RV's.
Two 6v golf car batteries (in series for 12v) and an automatic charger with a relay can turn on all the lights when the power goes out. That would realistically run all night or more. If you end up needing a longer run time, just add another pair of 6 volts of the same type.

As for the emergency light, as long as you add a battery that is the same rated amperage (and volts), the charger won't care, but it will take longer to recover.

LED's are great spot lights, but they don't do much for lighting up a room.