Ceiling fan humming due to dimmer light switch

Old 08-18-06, 06:17 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan humming due to dimmer light switch

We put up 2 ceiling fans tonight in the kids bedrooms. They only have a light switch and that switch has a dimmer on it. The fan seems like it's not getting enough power, so just to make sure we switched out the light switch with the ol' regular switch and most of the humming went away. My question: is there a type dimmer switch that we can install that will allow the fan to get as much power as with a regular switch? (Assuming the dimmer switch is not dimmed, I understand dimming will reduce power)

Old 08-18-06, 07:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Fan motors don't like dimmers that aren't designed for fans. You probably have a light dimmer, and, yes, it will cause a hum and an early demise of the fan. Consider installing a 3 click switch for the fan, which will give you 3 increments of speed, and a regular or dimmed switch for the light.

Old 08-18-06, 07:53 PM
N
We do have a speed control in our room but not the kids bedroom and we probably won't go that route. Our attic is way too hard to move around in. So do they sell any light dimmer's that are compatible with ceiling fans?

Old 08-18-06, 07:58 PM
C
You might see about remote control options. Otherwise you will have to rewire to have full power for the fan and dimmable light.

Old 08-18-06, 10:49 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Perhaps you should read the replies.

You need a FAN CONTROL switch.( These are rated for motors)
With the current situation (as you described) you need no access to the attic. You only need to change the control to this fixture.
Remote control is an option. Providing the device is not damaged.
However, if this has been a long time comming.... The FAN may be damaged and the "HUM" will never disperse.

Old 08-19-06, 09:02 AM
N
The fans are brand new and have run so far for about 5 minutes so I don't think there would be any damage. I crawled up in the attic today and wired the fan to the attic electricity, this way the fans run off of the pull and the light now runs of the dimmer light switch all alone. Most of the humming sound went away. (The fans are cheap fans so I expected a little humming) For us this was a better option because we have two small toddlers and if we had the switch on the wall they would be constantly playing with it and we would have to switch it off by the pull anyway. Thanks for all the advice/help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: