Ceiling fan with remote

Old 08-23-06, 04:46 PM
J
Jen
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan with remote

I had an electrician wire my room for a fan with a light. He put a double switch on the wall. The left side of the switch has a knob on the bottom that seesaws back and forth as the on/off part. Above that is a knob that freely slides up and down for the light. On the right side is a knob that moves up/down in three increments for the fan.
He labeled the wires in the ceiling for me to install it once I picked it out. They are labeled as follows:
Black says "to Black/White Fan Wire"
White "to White Wire"
Red "to Blue Wire"
Green "to Green wire"

Sounds easy enough. And it would be.... but I bought a fan with a remote.

The installation instructions say to connect the fan motor wires to the (remote) receiver wires. Black to Black White to White and Blue for light to Blue for light
Then to coonect the receiver to the outlet box in my ceiling. The receiver only has two wires coming from it - a Black and a White wire. It says to ground the green to a screw in the fan bracket.

How would I wire the remote if it is possible to do so??

Also, I read never to put a fan on a dimmer.
Do I have a true dimmer if my knob goes in increments for the fan?
The remote has three speeds

I appreciate any info you can provide!

Old 08-23-06, 05:13 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
you will need to rewire your switch. Open it and tell us the wires in the switch box and how they are connected.

Old 08-28-06, 10:39 AM
J
Jen
wiring at switch

Thank you for your timely reply. I am sorry I was not able to get back to you sooner. My Father is in the hospital.
Okay, the wiring here goes...
from the ceiling there are two wire clusters.

LEFT ceiling
black white bare copper

RIGHT ceiling
pink white black green

leading to the backs of the switches.

The black wire from the left box goes to a wire nut. From the nut, two black wires come out. One goes to the left switch and one to the right. there is a different second black short wire coming out of the left switch box attaching to a wire nut with the pink wire from the right ceiling.
The black wire from the right ceiling goes to a wire nut and a seperate black wire coming from the back of the swith box goes to the wire nut

The white wire attaches to the white with a wire nut.

The bare copper attaches to a wire nut with the green wire and the green comes out of the nut and grounds to the metal of the switch bracket.

I hope this is clear. I originally drew it out but I cannot post attachments. Thanks again for your insight!

Old 09-03-06, 07:43 AM
J
Jen
Can it be done??

I need help. Will I be able to hook up the remote with the aforementioned wiring and is the switch I described a true dimmer ?? Any info is appreciated.

Old 09-03-06, 07:51 AM
J
jen check your private messages. I will get back to you soon.

Edit: A dimmer and a fan speed control are not interchangable. They function differently.

Please tell me what you are trying to achieve. Will the remote switch be used for dimming and fan speed? Do you even want wall switches at all?

Please post back and then we can tell you how to do the wiring.

Old 09-04-06, 08:19 AM
J
Jen
Fan info

Yes, I will use the remote to dim the light and control the fan speed.

I would like a wall switch to be able to turn the light on when I enter the room. I don't need the wall switch to be able to dim the light or control the fan.

The remote has six buttons. They are :
1-HI
2-MED
3-LOW
4-Forward/Reverse
5-light dimmer -- it says to hold it down to dim
6-FAN/OFF
I hope this helps.
Thanks a bunch

Old 09-04-06, 09:11 AM
J
I will start with a safety tip. Never work on any live electrical circuit. Turn off power at the breaker panel, then test the circuit to be sure it is off before starting any work.

I have made a drawing that should be what you need. If you have any questions about the drawing please ask before you energize the circuit. I have seen the smoke come out of all kinds of electrical devices. I have never known anyone who could get the smoke back in.

You will not be able to use your existing wall switch. If you try to do so you will probably cause dammage to it, and your new remote reciever. You can, if you like, wirenut the black and red at the wall switch together for the night and use your fan with the remote until you have a chance to go buy a switch.

Here is a link to the drawing I made:
http://members.cox.net/jwhite480/FanLightWallSwitchRemote.jpg

Please post back with any questions, or just to let us know what a wonderfull job I am doing here on the forum

Old 09-06-06, 07:02 AM
J
Jen
Thank you sooo much for your reply! I actually will not have time until the weekend to work on the fan and look at the drawing in detail.
Thanks again for a wonderful job!
sign me, safety first

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: