Wireless switch for ceiling light

Old 08-28-06, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless switch for ceiling light

My existing ceiling light has an attached pull-switch (and no wall switch) and I would like to replace it with a light that doesn't have an attached switch. I've been told that there exist remote controlled devices whereby the receiver of the device hard-wires into the receptacle (sitting in between the feed and the fixture), and the remote switch can then be used to turn the fixture on or off (or dim it). Seems pretty simple and plausible, but for the life of me I can't find them. Does anyone know where to buy? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-06, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Go to one of the big box stores and look in the ceiling fan section. You will find remote controls that can be wired into the bell of light fixtures and operate remotely.

Old 09-01-06, 12:35 PM
Thanks

Thank you. I hate to have a remote with extra switches for the fan, but will have to make do. I'm shocked no one makes them just for lights - I smell a conspiracy!

Old 09-01-06, 01:59 PM
go to a radio shack and look at their X-10 stuff. You need one transmitter and one reciever module.

They make them that will fit in the jbox above the light. You will probablly need a transmitter that plugs in the wall, and a hand held remote.

Old 09-01-06, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
In addition, some remote receiver units can be programmed to the aux section of a standard remote. Check this out while you are at RS.

Old 09-03-06, 07:47 AM
You need an IR543 (I think that is the model) redceiver module to receive the remote signal. Not all remotes have that code, although the OneForAll remotes have it with CD/Home 0167.