Confused about wiring for chandelier

Old 09-03-06, 12:22 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Confused about wiring for chandelier

I just purchased a new modern-looking halogen chandalier and I don't understand the wiring.

There are 2 bundles of wires that are tied together. The first bundle is a red wire and a couple of black wires all bound together. The 2nd bundle is a red wire and a couple of white wires all bound together. Then there is a single black and a single white wire. My box only has 1 black and 1 white wire coming out of it.

I tried attaching the black bundle w/ the red wire and the single black wire to the black wire in the box and the same w/ the white, but it shorted everything out.

Please help

Old 09-03-06, 12:41 PM
J
Hopefully the mfg web site has the instructions posted. Can you tell me the mfg, model, and part number. I will try to look it up.

Old 09-03-06, 12:54 PM
B
They don't have a website. It is a "George Kovacs Exclusive Design", model # 17803. I bought it at Home Depot.

Thanks for your help

Old 09-03-06, 01:00 PM
J
Without being able so see a wiring diagram I can only guess at what is going on.

I suspect that the blacks bundled to a red, and the whites, bundled to a red come from a ballast. I also suspect that the single black and white also come from the ballast.

You should have left the bundled wires alone, and connected the single black to the black in your outlet box and the single white to white in the outlet box.

If I am right, you may have ruined the fixture by not connecting it correctly. I am supprised that the fixture did not come with directions for wiring.

Old 09-03-06, 01:30 PM
B
Uh oh. When you say "ruined" what do you mean? Should I try and re-do it the way you suggest? What is a "ballast"?

Also, at the same time I tried to hook this up, I tried to install a dimmer switch, which seems to have shorted out. Is this ruined as well?

As you can tell, I'm not much of an electrician.

Old 09-03-06, 01:43 PM
J
You left the dimmer out of your original post. Were you trying to use the dimmer on the halogin light?

By ruined I mean that it is possible. Again, without wiring diagrams I am at a loss.

A ballast is an electrical device, usually in a metal box, that is wired between the house supply circuit and the lamp of a fixture. they are in the fixture itself usually. flouresent lights use ballasts, so to other types of lights.

I googled the light name you posted and they do have a web site but it seems for sales only. no tech info there that I can find.

You never answered if the fixture came with a wiring diagram. Do you have one?

Old 09-03-06, 01:55 PM
B
The only diagram that came with it showed a black wire being attached to a black wire and a white to a white. The diagram made no mention of the other black and white wires or the red wires. It was not particularly helpful.

I was trying to use the dimmer on the halogen. Shouldn't I? I have dimmers on other halogen lights in my house. The new light is now on a standard switch and still doesn't work.

Should I try to attach the single wires and ignore the bundled ones?

Old 09-03-06, 02:06 PM
J
As for the dimming, is there a part number on the ballast and lamp. Can you post both?

Edit to add: Did you have to remove some kind of wire connector in order to connect the line to the bundled wires?

Last edited by jwhite; 09-03-06 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-03-06, 02:16 PM
J
If you miswired the fixture you will have probably not only distroyed the ballast but also every bulb.

The wireing diagrams that come with stuff do stink. but, yours showed one black to one black and one white to one white.

You should never have taken apart the connections that were made by the factory and rearranged the wiring.

This time you only broke a light fixture. Next time you could cause more dammage or be hurt. You should never make electrical connections unless you are entirely sure of what they are. You should have asked what should be done, before you applied power to the circuit.

Some halogon lights can be dimmed, others cannot. Trial and error is not the right way to find out. Check with the mfg of the light before you try to dimm the light.

Old 09-03-06, 02:32 PM
B
I didn't take apart any connections, nor did I re-arrange any wiring. The bundled wires were loose with the ends exposed. I assumed that they were meant to be connected to something. I'm still not sure what they are for if they are not meant to be connected to anything. It makes no sense to me. That is why I thought they should be connected to the wires in the box.

Should I try anything else or should I simply try to return the thing to Home Depot?

Old 09-03-06, 02:43 PM
J
If the light came with all the ends exposed and no instructions on how to hook it up, the take it back.

BTW... did you ever see a ballast? Do you know where the different wires go?

Old 09-03-06, 02:49 PM
B
I don't know what a ballast looks like. There is a black plastic box inside the fixture and I think at least some of the wires come from it. The thing is still on the ceiling so I can't see inside right now. I will take it down tomorrow and take it back, though I'm not sure what to do if they give me a new one, as I still don't know how to connect it.

Old 09-03-06, 02:55 PM
J
dig into the new one, and get the info off of the ballast.

we can try to look it up.

Old 09-03-06, 08:53 PM
B
Thanks. I will take a look and let you know what I see.

Old 09-05-06, 01:39 PM
B
I spoke to a technician employed by the manufacturer. Jwhite was correct that only the single black and single white wires should have been attached. The rest of the wires were supposedly for a transformer. However, the diagram in the installation instructions said to attach the black fixture wires (note the plural) to the black house wires and the white fixture wires (again, plural) to the white house wires. There were several black wires and several white wires in the fixture. How is anybody supposed to know that "wires" means only one wire?

I called Home Depot and they are apparently willing to take back the unit which is likely now non-functional and replace it with a new one.

Thanks to Jwhite for the helpful information.

Old 09-05-06, 02:07 PM
J
Good job Blackadder.

The instructions should have been more clear, and the wires or bundles should have been lableled.

If they have to take enough back due to directions faults, they will realize that they need to update the instructions.

Your persistance could save many others the same hassle.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: