Fan ? installing Hunter 27186 remote wall switch

Old 09-05-06, 12:01 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fan ? installing Hunter 27186 remote wall switch

I got the ceiling fan part wired with no trouble, but I am confused with the wall switch for the above unit. The wall portion only has 2 black wires coming out of it with no labels. My single wall switch has 3 cables coming into the box each has 3 wires, white, black and ground.. All the whites are wire nutted together, as are the grounds with a pigtail ground to the switch ground screw. The blacks are as follows - 1 to the top back of the switch, 1 to the bottom back of the switch and one to the bottom side screw of the switch.

How do I connect these black wires to the two black wires of the wall portion of the Hunter 27186. Also, what do I do about a ground? The Hunter wall unit doesn't have a ground wire and my wall box is plastic not metal.

Thanks in advance,

Old 09-05-06, 06:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Turn off all power first. You can remove the back stabbed wire by twisting it back and forth and gently pulling away.

You need to connect the 2 blacks from the bottom of the switch together along with one of the black wires from the remote. Connect the other black to the other black from the remote. Cover these splices with a twist-on wire nut.

Since the remote does not require a ground just tuck it into the back of the box.

Old 09-05-06, 10:28 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, PCBOSS, I will finish it up following your advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: