what kind of light switch does this sound like???

Old 09-07-06, 12:51 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry what kind of light switch does this sound like???

hey friends

i have a light switch for the light on my front stoop and the exact same kind of switch for the light out my back door....and i dont know how it works!

i'll try to describe it..there is a little rectangular plastic switch you push in to turn on the light...then right below this switch is a tiny plastic piece that can go left (about 1/2 inch and clicks into place)...this shuts the light off...why would it do this...is it some kind of timer...its not a dimmer and the outside light is not a motion light...if i leave the bottom piece to the left side, then the bottom on the top wont turn the light on

then i took the switch plate off to try to identify the type of switch...it says "UL Listed 340F Remote Switch 120 volts AC 60 HZ Incandescent Lamps 500 Watts Max" and i see 2 little circular plastic dials that seem to turn when you used a small screwdriver, one is black and has numbers on it 1, 5, 9 and 13 and the red dial has letters A, E, I and M..what do these mean...do the letters represent how many feet from the light the switch is?...if so, why

sorry for my ignorance
BAM

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-06, 03:14 PM
J
Received 249 Votes on 219 Posts
Sounds like it might half of a remote threeway switch. The other half would be mounted somewhere that wires could not be fished to.

Old 09-07-06, 06:55 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
It's probably an X-10 compatible switch. If you have an X-10 console (or one of many other X-10 devices) you may control these two switches from anywhere in the house.

Google X-10 for more information.

Old 09-07-06, 06:59 PM
C
I vote for X10. The little switch below the main one is to disconnect the switch fromt he light, so you can safely change the light bulb. Not for your safety, but the safety of the electronics in the switch.

Old 09-08-06, 11:29 AM
B
Question x-10 console?

and where might i find an x-10 console?..basement?...should i have one somewhere?

Old 09-08-06, 01:49 PM
J
You do not need a consol for X10 to work. These could be transmitters. The reciever would be in the ceiling box where the light is.

The slide bar is an override, and the push button is for normal use.

I should say, could be, as I am still not sure what you really have..

Old 09-08-06, 04:57 PM
F
It is quite likely that the previous owner took the X-10 controller (console) when they moved.

There are many different types of X-10 controllers from extremely simple plug-in models to wireless to computer interface units.

Here is a cheapie.

http://www.iautomate.com/phc01.html

X-10 is pretty much a de facto protocol for DIY home automation. Any store that has any home automation equipment would have X-10 equipment including Sears and Radio Shack.

www.smarthome.com has tons of DIY home automation parts and supplies including all the X-10 compatible equipment.

Old 09-08-06, 09:44 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
X-10, sounds good... Not sure what it is though.

Could it be an occupancy sensor? where the knob adjusts sensitivity and the lower switch (bypass) controls operation?

Old 09-08-06, 10:49 PM
F
Does it look like this?

http://www.smarthome.com/2031i.html

The two (internal) dials are rotary switches. The one with the letters (A, B, C,...) is for the "house code" which is set on the controller console(s) and the one with the numbers is the "device code". Each X-10 device will have a common house code and a unique device code to allow it to operate from the signal sent by the controller console.

Example: The front door and back door switches each have the house code set to "A". The device code on the front door switch is set to "1" and the device code on the back door switch is set to "2". The controller console is plugged into an outlet next to your bed and its house code is also set to "A". When you push (in sequence) the number one button and "on" (or maybe it is on/off, I haven't played with X-20 for quite some time) the front door light will go on. All other operations to the two lights are similar.

The controller console also has two more buttons marked "All Lights ON" and All Lights OFF". Pressing either of these buttons will turn on (or off) all of the X-10 lighting controls.

So, after you have gone to bed you think you hear a noise outside. Press the "All Lights ON" button and the front and back door lights will come on and you didn't even have to get out of bed.

Old 09-07-09, 01:34 PM
P
hey Bam,

This is the same switch in my house at the exact same locations. It is a radio shack remote wall switch. I do not have any other items that these work in conjunction with. My remedy was to remove them and replace them with a simple on/off lightswitch. Save them in that kitchen drawer though just in case you have to reinstall them.

Old 09-07-09, 08:43 PM
F
It has been three years since the question was asked. The original poster is still active, at least as of two months ago, so I think that he (she?) probably took care of the problem long ago.

Old 01-26-10, 08:02 AM
B
thanks for all your responses

wow...i never came back to check all your responses after i figured it out...but thanks!

yes, it's an x-10 switch and my father-in-law had an old x-10 console to plug in and try to set up the timer for the stoop light and light outside garage...it kind of works on and off, maybe i just need a newer x-10 console is all..or i can fiddle with those little numbers on the actual switch to get a better "frequency" or whatever it is that make it work

thanks again for all your replies

bam