Ceiling fan wiring with swag kit.

Old 09-14-06, 03:23 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan wiring with swag kit.

I live in an apartment so there is no way I can install a fan other then with a chain/swag kit so heres my question: The fan has a blue, black, white, and green (ground) wires. The swag kit only has 2 wires, one marked with a line and the other plain. I know I want the light and the fan to be controlled with the pull chains so the black and the blue should be conected together and then too the swag kit wire going to an outlet and the white would go to the other one. But what about the ground? I thought it was very important to have a ground but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to get one, am I understanding this wrong or do I have another option?

Thanx for any help!

Old 09-14-06, 03:51 PM
J
Line would go with black and blue. The other wire in the swag cord would go to white.

As for the ground it is always a good idea, but this is not an actual electrical outlet you are installing. It is more on the line of a table lamp.

If the product is UL listed for what you are doing, you will be fine. Just cap off the green from the fan.

Old 09-14-06, 05:50 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
*Line would go with black and blue. The other wire in the swag cord would go to white.*

Double check this, on alot of these cords the "identified" line wire is the white (neutral).The smooth is "HOT".

Follow it to the plug- Wide blade is neutral (white).

Old 09-14-06, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Ceiling fans are not made to be hung from swag kits.

How do you intend to properly secure a fan rated box to hang this fan from?

Since this is an apartment you probably do not have the right to do electrical work.

Old 09-14-06, 08:48 PM
E
Thanx for the help the two helpful posters :P. Did everything and it's up, secure, and working great! Thanx a lot.

Old 09-15-06, 10:03 AM
J
Originally Posted by pcboss
Ceiling fans are not made to be hung from swag kits.

I did a quick online search, and these kits are available and listed by ul for the use.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: