Outside garage light fixture

Old 09-16-06, 03:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Outside garage light fixture

Hello everyone. My car got broken into last night and now I am in the process of installing new motion lights outside on my garage. When I removed the old crappy lights, the holes where the light screws into the side of the garage are completely busted out. I cannot mount a new light nor get the old ones to go back on. Looks like a PVC type ficture inside the brick wall. It's the holes in that PVC fixture that are busted out. One hole has a busted bolt broke of inside of it too. My question now is, how do I take that old PVC fixture out without destroying the brick?

Old 09-16-06, 05:22 PM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Garage light

"Looks like a PVC type ficture inside the brick wall"

Do you mean by the above that the outlet box(where the light was connected to the circuit) is plastic? If so, how is it fastened ? Do you see any screws holding the box in place? Is there any conduit attached to the box?

Old 09-16-06, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Wirepuller38
"Looks like a PVC type ficture inside the brick wall"

Do you mean by the above that the outlet box(where the light was connected to the circuit) is plastic? If so, how is it fastened ? Do you see any screws holding the box in place? Is there any conduit attached to the box?
I'll try and explain the best that I can. This is a round PVC recessed fixture (not any part of the actual light). I see no anchoring hardware for it at all. Looks like in order for them to get it in the brick/wall, they had to hammer it in. Very tight fit. The wires go through a access hole in the rear of it. Dang, I wish I could post pictures on here of it. Anyways, attached to this fixture, are two "used" to be threaded posts to screw that mounting plate for the light too.

Old 09-16-06, 07:24 PM
L
are two "used" to be threaded posts to screw that mounting plate for the light too.#

Can these "posts" be removed useing pliers?
were there screws holding the original fixture in, or just these posts?
My guess would be these posts can be removed,As they most likely were put in at the time of install.
It is OK to use larger screws than the original install.Make sure to use the gaskets that come with the new fixture.This will keep the water out.

Old 09-16-06, 09:44 PM
These posts are not threaded metal post like the ones that go on the mounting plate. The ones I am talking about are built into this PVC fixture. The round mounting plate mount to this.

Old 09-16-06, 10:34 PM
L
Cool

Are they (posts) threaded? Is there any place (holes) to put in screws? I'm having a tough time visualizing what you speak of.
The existing mounting plate, have you removed it?
If these posts are indeed threaded they are most likely an 8/32 thread. The new fixture bar (mounting plate) should fit over these posts. Then you nut it down and mount your light.

Or you buy a shotgun and loose some sleep, They'll only break in 1&1/2 times. I'm sure.

Old 09-17-06, 03:48 AM
J
What I am visualizing is a plastic round box that was probably cemented in when the garage was built. You are telling us that the mounting holes are broken out, so you cannot get a screw back into the box.

Depending on the box design, you may be able to drill and tap a longer screw. As mentioned above it is an 8-32.

With care you can also chissle out the old box and install a new one.

Neither choice will be much fun. Good luck.

Old 09-17-06, 08:46 AM
Thanks JWhite, you nailed my problem on the head. I'm going to have to chisel this PVC out. Maybe I'll take a Dremel with a cutting wheel and cut it out. Hopefully they still sell these things.

Old 09-17-06, 08:54 AM
J
Is this a 3 or 4 inch box? and Is it a 3 or 4 inch canope on the fixture?

Edit to add: Does the building have actual brick, or brick vineere.. The actual box may be secured to the studs and just stick out through the brick.

With care, getting the old box out and a new one neatly in will be more of a time consuming task than a technicaly difficult one. That is if you are good with your hands.

They still do make plastic old work boxes, gangable and round, but I would be tempted to buy a metal replacement. Use liquid cement in a calking tube to reinstall the new box and let it set up before mounting the new fixture. Be very carefull to not muck up the wireing. If you do, you will have a much bigger problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: