Recessed lighting in kitchen

Old 09-17-06, 07:20 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed lighting in kitchen

I just bought a house and it has recessed lighting in the kitchen some of the lights blew so I went to put a new bulb in and at first it lit up then I screwed it in some more and that's when I heard a pop sound and all the recessed lights went out. Anyone have any idea as to what may have happened? The lights won't turn on at all when I flip the switch.

Old 09-17-06, 08:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If the light lit up when you turned it on, what made you twist it tighter? You may have broken the bulb unknowingly, and it contacted the side of the fixture and tripped a breaker. Or when you twisted it, a loose wire in the can touched the can itself and tripped the breaker. Have you checked there yet?

Old 09-17-06, 08:42 PM
L
Unhappy

When installing lamps (light bulbs) hand tight is fine. They are not an integrual part of the structure.

Had to say it,
Ive seen too many times customers have to make these things as tight as possable.

Old 09-18-06, 04:50 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Then wonder why the bulb breaks when they remove it, leaving the base in the socket. Potato time.

Old 09-18-06, 08:28 AM
E
Can anyone tell me what else they think it could be? What's done is done so now I have to figure out this problem. I'm gonna go check the breakers now.

Old 09-18-06, 10:11 AM
J
"Can anyone tell me what else they think it could be? "

I think that the others have got it right. You either broke the bulb or the socket. Turn the power off and try to take the bulb back out.

Old 09-21-06, 09:56 PM
E
I turned the circuit breakers off and changed the lightbulbs and no lights came on. I have 2 switches in the kitchen for the recessed lighting and some of the lights lit up but when I turned them off the circuit breaker would switch off. So the only way I can have some of the lights on is go in the basement and turn on the circuit breaker each time. I hope this isn't too confusing.

Old 09-22-06, 03:35 AM
"some of the lights blew" : Does this mean that they just were burned out? It may help to say how many recesssed lights you have, and, how many were working and how many were not working when you began.

"I went to put a new bulb in and at first it lit up then I screwed it in some more and that's when I heard a pop sound and all the recessed lights went out": Can you get a bulb to light in this light fixture now? If not, I'd start by removing and testing this fixture. I'm thinking that since the pop originated from this fixture, it must be the source of your problem.

Old 09-22-06, 09:41 AM
J
"I hope this isn't too confusing."

It is confusing. First the problem occured when you changed a light bulb, now you have a problem when you turn a switch off.

Why not start again and tell us the entire story. Include all of the electrical work that you have done on this circuit that you have not already mentioned.

Old 09-22-06, 10:04 AM
E
Okay here's the story.

To begin with I have one light swith in my kithcen along with a dimmer right next to it. The dimmer turns on one light and the switch next to it use to turn on the other lights untill I put in a new lightbulb and it made the pop sound. When that happened ALL the lights in the kitchen went out including another light in the breakfast area.

I changed the light bulb on the one that made the pop sound and it still didn't light up. I messed with the circuit breakers and every other light in the kitchen came on except for the one that made the pop sound and the others that are on the same line as that one.

So the dimmer light came on and the breakfat area one.

When I turned the lights off I heard the breaker switch in the basement flip and the lights would not come on again. The only way I can get the lights that lit up to work is if I go in basement and turn on the breaker each individual time.

I hope I'm clear this time I'm trying not to confuse everyone and I appreciate the advice.

Old 09-22-06, 11:44 AM
J
Is the light that you changed the bulb in on the dimmer?

When the breaker trips, is this from the dimmer being turned off or the other switch?

Old 09-22-06, 05:22 PM
L
Originally Posted by jwhite
Is the light that you changed the bulb in on the dimmer?

When the breaker trips, is this from the dimmer being turned off or the other switch?
This is important. The dimmer may have gone "kaputs".
When you tightened the lamp, did the socket turn?
If so you shorted out the wires in the can. Shut OFF the power and check the fixture.

There are ways to check if the dimmer is bad. It's simple.

DON"T EVER install a dimmer with the power on, 8 times out of 10--- you will install 2 dimmers (at least).

Old 09-22-06, 08:37 PM
E
No the light that I changed the bulb in isn't on the dimmer, it's on the switch next to the dimmer.

Old 09-22-06, 09:35 PM
L
So, This is the only fixture that does not come on?
Is this the only fixture on this switch?
If not, and all other fixtures (on this switch) work, then you must work on this fixture.

Old 09-23-06, 05:57 AM
J
ebokee,
please re read my post number 6.

I believe you twisted the hot and neutral wire together when you tightened the bulb too far.

Old 09-25-06, 05:54 PM
E
Originally Posted by jwhite
ebokee,
please re read my post number 6.

I believe you twisted the hot and neutral wire together when you tightened the bulb too far.

Yes I read your post and thank you for your response but that still does not explain me having to go down in the basement and flip the switch on the circuit breaker every single time just to have lights on in the kitchen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: