ceiling fan install

Old 09-19-06, 02:52 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ceiling fan install

Hello friends I am new to this web site so bare with me . I'm getting ready to install some ceiling fans and need some wiring help. The rooms all have a switch that controls a outlet on the wall. I would like to make this outlet hot all time and use the switch to control the fan and light. The outlet has two cables coming in. One coming in the bottom of the box and the other from the top. Each cable has a black a white and a ground wire. The grounds are wired together and run to the ground screw on the bottom of the outlet. The white from the bottom goes to the back bottom left of outlet.The black coming up is tied to the white coming down into the box. The black coming down goes to the top right back of the outlet. Now for the switch it has a white wire in the back top and the black in the back bottom and the ground. I know I'll have to snake some wire through the wall up into the attic and I've read a little about using a duplex switch in a single box. What are my options and what type cable do I need ?

Thanks Stuart

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-06, 04:14 PM
J
Received 272 Votes on 235 Posts
You should snake a 14/3 wire to the switch box. This will allow you to control the light and fan separate from the switch box.
At the receptacle connect the two blacks to the gold screws.
Connect the two white to the silver screws.
Leave the grounds.

At the switch
Connect the white together.
Connect the existing black to one screw on each of the two switch or controls.
Connect the red to one switch and the black to the other switch.

At the fan.
connect the fan white to the white.
Connect all the grounds
Connect the black to fan hot wire(usually black)
Connect the red to the light hot wire( often blue)

If your circuit is on a 20 amp fuse or breaker then use 12/3 wire instead of 14/3.

It is also possible to do this by bringing you new cable to the receptacle box instead of the switch box, however you not have separate control of light and fan from switch.

Old 09-19-06, 05:53 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
switch question

Joed thanks for the information. I have one more question. If I buy a switch that has two controls one for the fan and the other for the light will that still work? You kind of lost me on the switch connections.I got the connecting the two whites together.But not the exsiting black to one screw on each of the two switches or controls. Thanks again for the help

Stuart

Old 09-19-06, 08:09 PM
J
Received 272 Votes on 235 Posts
A switch needs one terminal to be a hot wire and the other terminal to be the switched wire to the device.
You take thehot wire and attache two short pigtails to it. Then connect the pigtails one each to the switches.

You could buy a double switch in one device. That would have a common terminal for the hot wire to each switch. No pigtails would be required.