Can't get low speed on ceiling fan wall control

Old 09-23-06, 01:11 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Can't get low speed on ceiling fan wall control

I have a 3 speed, non-reversable Hunter Osprey ceiling fan and need to find a fan control that will work with this fan. Hunter tech support tells me that none of their controls will work with this fan because this is a commercial, non-reversable fan.

I tried the Lutron 120V/60Hz/2Amp max control (DVFSQ-F-HO) but both the low and the med setting on the control operate the fan at medium speed. I can't set it to low! Can someone explain how the Amp ratings work? Or put me in the right direction as to what control specs, or which control I need for this fan (1.25A, 1.5A, 5A, etc)? Here are these specs for my fan:

cfm high: 10475
RPM High: 217
AMP High: .6
Watts High: 70

cfm medium: 6190
RPM Med: 132
AMP Med: .42
Watts Med: 36

cfm low: 2750
RPM Low: 63
AMP Low: .24
Watts Low: 20

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-06, 01:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If Hunter doesn't make a control for it, I wouldn't look to Lutron or another manufacturer to have one. Even on the "universal" remote controls Hunter commercial and non reversable fans are excluded. Do you have the fan set to the fastest speed to begin with? This will make a difference.

Old 09-27-06, 09:31 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Make sure the fan is set on HIGH.

Old 10-02-06, 10:53 AM
D
if the fan is set to high that the control will still only control th lamps on high then you may have bought the wrong control.

The control you bought is a 3 speed contrl. All 3 speed controls use capatitors for the speed settings are are considered "non solid states" variable speed controls are "Solid State"

Some fans require a solid state control and some require non solid stats. Other fans dont really care.

On another note. Since Lutron is Hunters OEM for many of the controls they sell for their fans, I am inclinced to think that Lutron myay not have what you need, but you can try a cheap variable speed control if you like