Flourescent strip light versus spotlights for kitchen

Old 09-24-06, 06:10 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flourescent strip light versus spotlights for kitchen

I am currently refitting a kitchen which measures 3.4 x 2.5 metres (11' x 8'6'), which is currently lit by a 1.5 m (5') long fluorescent strip light. The wife wants to dispense with the strip light and install a more stylish looking set of 4 spot lights, but does not want a darker kitchen. How many conventional incandescent light bulbs or halogen or tungsten spot lights would I need to match the fluorescent light output?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-06, 07:35 AM
J
Mark, where are you from? Just asking because a 5 foot floursent light is an odd length in the USA.

I would estimate six to eight can lights, more track lights, but that is just a guess. There are alot of variables. Type of fixture, type of trim, lamp type etc.

I suggest a trip to the lighting store. They can show you your options, and do foot candle calculations.

Old 09-24-06, 07:51 AM
W
Smile Florescent Light

Hi Mark,

We just remodeled our kitchen which was almost exact to your dimentions, with a drop ceiling with 2- 5' florescent tubes. We took them out and put in 3 can lights where each tube was and a ceiling fan with lights in the center. This is plenty of light and a little more air flow since it is a smaller area. Good Luck.