Recessed can lights IP, not IC or ICAT. What does this mean?

Old 09-25-06, 09:40 PM
lynnl
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Recessed can lights IP, not IC or ICAT. What does this mean?

These lights are installed in my bathroom in 1993 & covered with batt insulation in my attic .

I am preparing my attic for more insulation & am wondering if insulation should be in direct contact with these lights ?

It says IP , gives max bulb wattage but I can't see the fine print way up there & alot of it is worn off. I didn't see the word warning unless its in the fine print too.

Old 09-26-06, 03:37 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
From what I can tell IP is a rating for how much solid or liquid can get into the fixture. Like dust or moisture.

The IP should be followed by a 2 digit number which has more specific details for just how tight the fixture is.

This is not the same as an IC rating which is for direct contact with insulation. Your fixtures may carry both ratings.

Old 09-28-06, 09:07 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This might help

Scroll down on this page until you see 'IP Rating' below the lighting sub title. That might clear things up a bit for you on the IP.

http://www.qvsdirect.com/Technical-Information-sp-14.html

Unfortunatly I cannot help with the IC / ICAT but at the top of that page you'll see a free phone telephone number for the company. I've used these guys a lot before and i know for a fact that if you ask them about it they will answer your question dispite the fact you're not buying anything. Very helpful chaps.

Hope that helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: