K&T Wiring to 3 Wire Fluorescent Fixture (1 of 3 is red)

Old 09-27-06, 12:38 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
K&T Wiring to 3 Wire Fluorescent Fixture (1 of 3 is red)

Not an expert here so bare with me. I'm attempting to wire a pair of 96" T8 fluorescent fixtures (both single tube) to K&T wiring from the house. (Isn't K&T wiring identified by the old woven fabric insulation around it?)

They were lying in the recessed cove built into the house up along the ceiling which I discovered after we bought the house. The wiring from both fluorescent fixtures include 2 black wires and 1 red wire respectively.

How does this work with just a single black and white K&T house wiring? Thanks in advance. (oh and I know the basics of color coding the wires but the two black wires and red one is throwing me)

Last edited by blaksgr; 09-27-06 at 01:45 AM. Reason: corrected wire colors
Old 09-27-06, 02:20 AM
J
Are you sure that they are 120 volt?

There should be a wiring diagram on the ballast. We need that or a part number to help.

Old 09-27-06, 12:28 PM
B
Ok, I've looked at the ballast and here's what I can legibly read:
Advanced Fluorescent Lamp Ballast
Cat # S-251-S
Line Volts 118 A.C.
Line Current 1.2 AMP 60 CVC

Also the diagram shows single wire from both ends of the tube fixtures, with white and blue from respective ends on one tube and white and red from respective ends on other tube. I have what looks like 2 black and 1 red wires coming from one end of each tube fixture (no blue).

Old 09-27-06, 03:23 PM
J
Are the wires from the ballast to the tomb stones still in tact? or are they disconnected also?

Old 09-27-06, 05:11 PM
B
There are two sets of wires (one white and one black) coming from both ends of the ballast, and they were not connected to either the fixtures nor the wiring from the house.

By the way, one set of the black/white wires coming from the ballast is thicker than the other pair coming from the other end.

There are 3 wires coming from one end of the fixtures each and the colors are: two black and one red.

Diagram on ballast shows a blue wire and I don't have any blue wires unless one of the two black wires from the fixtures is really blue but has faded with age.

Old 09-27-06, 05:34 PM
J
Let me try asking this again another way. I am not so good sometimes with words.

The ballast is the rectangullar thing that is very heavey with a bunch of wires comming out of it.

The tomb stone is the part where the lamp clips in. for each lamp there has to be one at each end.

Is the wiring between the ballast and the tomb stones still in tact?

How many of what color wires are left over?

Old 09-27-06, 07:41 PM
B
I just got back from buying a new ballast. The existing one, I learned, was from the 40s.

To answer your questions, yes, all of the wiring from each fixture is still intact (but the three wires, 2 black and 1 red, coming from each fixture are all coming out one end). And the black and white wires coming out of each end of the old ballast is still intact. But none of the wires were connected to each other including coming from the house K&T wiring.

I think I've figured this out through with the new ballast. I'm going to connect the house black & white wire to the new ballast black & white. Then connect the blue wires coming from the other end of the ballast to the 2 black wires on each fixture. Then connect the red wire coming from the fixture to the red return wire of the ballast.

I'll let you know if I was successful.

Old 09-27-06, 07:55 PM
J
If you are replacing a ballast. the old wiring needs to be ignored.
Use the wiring diagram from the new ballast. do it that way.

even if you have to make changes to the tomb stone wiring.

Old 09-27-06, 08:22 PM
B
SUCCESS! (After 3 days LOL)

I followed the diagram on the new ballast and just wired the two blacks coming from each fixture to the blue coming from the ballast. Then wired each of the reds from the fixtures to the red going back into the ballast.

Now my next question....do they make incandescent 96" T8 tubes? And can you install a dimmer on the switch that controls the fluorescents?

Thank you.

Old 09-27-06, 08:56 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Question

NO. You can buy a flourescent dimmer, But you need a flourescent dimming ballast. Not worth the cake.

Sounds like you went through alot of work to get these eight footers working, why change them now?

Old 09-27-06, 09:13 PM
B
I did go through a lot of work (grin), but once I got them working our living room now looks like the inside of a 7-eleven.

Old 09-27-06, 09:22 PM
L
Well... What did you expect?

What style house? how many lighting boxes?What style room?
How handy are you? Tons of stuff you can do with lighting.

Old 09-27-06, 10:00 PM
B
I think I'm going to try something like a rope light in the alcove with a dimmer at the switch. It's a double switch though where the 2nd switch controls the porch light.

Can you use a dimmer on one side and a regular switch for the porch light?

Oh, and my experience with electrical is very little, but am pretty analytical and figure things out such as connecting these fluorescents.

Last edited by blaksgr; 09-27-06 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-28-06, 06:12 PM
L
Yes, you can have dimmer beside the porch switch.
They also sell switch over switch devices for 3 in that box. This would require another switch leg up though.

But I think you like work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: