Replace soffit lighting

Old 09-28-06, 06:24 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Replace soffit lighting

We currently have 8 soffit lights installed outside. I believe that they are not designed for outdoor use. The connectors are now fairly corroded. I would like to replace them with something suited for outdoor use. I would also like them to fit into the existing 4-5 inch openings even if that means using some sort of adapter kit. They make me quite nervous as is. I fear that they may cause a fire. In additon to make room for the mounting depth require the person who installed them decided to cut into the garage roof beam structure. I would like to use a replacement design with a shallow mounting depth so that I can repair the damage to the beams.

Old 09-28-06, 05:05 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
This is doable, Rather straight forward project. They do sell shallow cans, Recomended to have a lense.

How much of the beam (or is it a joist) did they remove?
You may need someone to check it, and make sure the strucual integrity is still there.

Old 09-29-06, 06:08 AM
G
Thanks for the reply. It has been a while since I have looked but I seem to recall about an inch of material had beem cut away. It looks as though it was hacked up with an axe. Are there any specifc lamp manufacturers that you would recommend? That would aid me in my search for replacement lamps.

Thanks

Old 09-29-06, 12:43 PM
In tryng to imagine what you are saying -I think you have spot light bulbs screwed into a basic lamp holder and yes -they are rated for outside and yes they do corrode- you could replace them or purchase a nicer fixture- take a trip to a local electrical supply house and go to the fixture dept. very nice and knowledgable folks

does the conopy for the fixture not cover the opening ?
The material was removed because the fixture canopy will not cover a box -even a shallow box

or this is a hi hat fixture and they do have shallow depth- cans- take a trip to the supply house

I'm confused lol

Old 09-29-06, 07:43 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So, you've gone from fixtures to lamps?
Let us know what you have for fixtures, and we can recommend lamps, or acceseries.

Large lumination.....Directional.... Atmosphere... strobe....spot...?

Old 10-03-06, 09:00 AM
G
I'm sorry. I negelected to mention that these lights are recessed into the sofffit.

They look identical to this.

http://www.earthadvantage.com/pop/lighting/pix/recessed.jpg

Old 10-03-06, 09:28 AM
J
GoldieF50,
I may be wrong, but I believe you are confusing the two terms, "fixture" and "lamp"

The fixture is the assembly that is installed and attached to the house. The lamp is just the bulb that you screw out and replace when it goes bad.

You need a carpenter to tell you if the roof structure needs to be replaced. The part that was cut out only supports the overhang, but it was probably not right to cut it away to install the lights.

They do make a lower profile recess light. You may need to change the lamps you are using and the trims.

I suggest that you do the following:
Turn off the power to the lights at the circuit breaker box, not the light switch. (the same person who cut out the wood, may have made a mistake wiring the lights, and you do want to be safe rather than sorry.)
Measure from the very top of the light to the soffit level. I am looking for how tall the actual housing is. you should be able to get your tape measure up inside the fixture all the way to the top above the light socket.
Measure the diameter of the trimm. If you can remove the trimm, measure the diameter of the housing, if not gusss what it might be.
If at all possible, measure how much room you have to install a fixture, as if the wood had never been cut out of the way.
Take all of your measurements to a lighting supply house and talk to the rep about what you options are. They will be the best source for what options you have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: