Wiring a ceiling fan into existing wall light switch

Old 09-29-06, 11:12 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring a ceiling fan into existing wall light switch

I installed 2 ceiling fans in the kids bedrooms. This was done over the summer and since I didn't want to spend too much time in the attic I didn't wire it into the light switch. I did however hard wire the fan motor to the attic electricity so at least the dimmer light switch on the wall operates the fan light and now the fan motor is wired with plenty of extra wire to go down into the wall if I choose to do so.

My question is how hard would it be to feed that wire down into the existing light switch box on the wall? Are there any tips/trick for doing this? I would like to use the existing single box in the wall and not have to cut out another hole in the wall. I personally like it the way it is because the kids can't play with the fan but my wife would like the speed control on the wall.

-Dave

Old 09-29-06, 12:23 PM
SHHHHH- you must be very quiet because of what I'm going to tell you -I get good money for this little trick - so mums the word. (;

Take a cheap metal coat hanger and cut it at a 45' angle and then cut it so it is about 10in long and straight now bend the end so 8in straight and 2in bent out

Now find the stud in the wall by taking the sw. cover off and poking this wire to the left and right in the crack between the box and sheet rock at the top.

Got it ? okay now take your wire and look staight at the ceiling directly above the box
and about 3in. away from that stud in the wall -
we need the clear path to the box-
now take your coathanger and poke it trough the ceiling next to the wall with a twisting motion - pssst - the customer never notices this
tiny hole or the coat hanger I procured- and measure from the CH to dead center of the depth of the wall leaving the CH stuck in the ceiling go into the attic and find it
and remembering the measurement drill a 3/4 hole { peek down this hole with a flash light and you will see the box and can push the wire right into the KO / hole you made -pushed out in the box }

viola- shhhhh

Old 09-29-06, 12:39 PM
N
That's if I don't know where the hole was in the attic for the light switch wiring? I'm pretty sure last time I was up there I could see the wires going down into the wall.

When the wire is inside the wall how do I get it in that small opening in the box? Won't the wire just be moving around in between the 2 studs? All I had left over for wiring was the heavy duty yellow wiring that is really hard to work with. Actually may be good for bending into a straight line but if it gets caught up on anything it will bend/kink.

Old 09-29-06, 01:02 PM
Then drill two holes one for your wire- that you have bent straight for about 6ft. and one for you and your flashlight to peek through

Now guide that baby in with the finess of a bomb tech - well not quite - forget about those wires up there , were not 100% sure are we ?

we don't want to spend any more time in that attic than we have to.

if you can plant that wire on the top of the box
then go back down and with small tools and a light and manipulate it into the hole

Old 09-29-06, 01:53 PM
J
I have another trick that I sometimes use for this. If the wall has no insulation.

I take a bit of small string, and attach two 1/4 inch nuts to it or a bit of jack chain.

i drill a hole in the attic down into the wall near the existing wire. Next I drop the string down using the nuts as a weight.

It will go past the box. Next is use a bit of scrap wire with a hook bent on the end and reach in through the hole in the wall box and fish around till I snag the string.

did i forget to say to tie the string off in the attic so you dont loose it?????

I pull the string into the box, and even loose the weights if needed by cutting the string.

In the attic i tape the new wire to the string then get a helper to pull down gentlly while I feed from above.

Old 09-29-06, 02:02 PM
LOL darn, no one mentioned a helper (;

Old 09-29-06, 08:07 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Talking

Your right, Wiliam, I ask for help..... I get people who need it!!!!!

Thats 1 (only one) of the reasons I work alone.

These are good "tricks", We must admit though,there is a certain amount of experiance that goes into making them work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: