Cover for non IC recessed can near insulation

Old 09-30-06, 06:57 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cover for non IC recessed can near insulation

I have a non IC recessed can that was installed in the ceiling that has loose fill insulation. I have cleared a 18 in radius away from the light to prevent any fire hazard and I was going to use commercial product to cover the light but it is cost prohibitive. An electrician I know recommend a chicken wire cage to keep the insolation off the light and to allow heat loss. Any recommendation from the forum on a cost effective way to accomplish this task?

Old 09-30-06, 07:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Since you have managed to clear the insulation away from the can why don't you replace it with one rated IC and air tight? Save yourself on the energy bills.

Old 09-30-06, 08:00 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I know this doesn't answer your question but it may help me, and some others.

Do you know what product was being considered such as name or a weblink to them? This has been discussed several times onthis forum. I saw a product in a trade mag for this purpose while purchasing parts but do not remember the name of the manuf. or product.

I have seen a drywall box made to do what you speak of. The chicken wire, to me, would tend to allow the insulation to fall through, especially through time and would end up not providing the restraint you need and seek.

Old 09-30-06, 09:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Nap, I have seen these too, but can't think of their name. Usually they are just a tube about 12" high and about 10-12" in diameter that just sit over the can and use the open top as a chimney and the sides keep the insulation at bay.

Old 10-08-06, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have seen a few guys use a large cardboard box with each end cut out....they sit it over the recess and it forms a large square around the recess..usually high enough to keep any insulation out and far enough from the recess light to be of any problem....

Old 10-12-06, 05:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Likewise I have used sheetrock of a good height and width taped at the edges with Tyvek tape. Simple enough, and there are always scraps laying around after the rock guys get started.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: