wall lights

Old 10-06-06, 05:48 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wall lights

I currently have two old fashioned wall lights in my kitchen, the two spot wall lights have there own built in switches. I decided to replace them all with something more modern but when I bought the new lights I forgot to put my one brain cell in and have come away with ceiling lights for my walls i.e. they do not have built in switches. Why not take them back I here you ask, well I purchased them in a closing down sale and the shop has now closed, so no chance of a refund.
My question is this, can I install switches for said lights by hooking up the existing power to a switch and then running new cable to the lights? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 10-06-06, 06:17 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Lights

You need a switch loop from the light to the switch.

Old 10-06-06, 06:22 AM
U
You could, but it might be easier to add switches to the fixtures you just bought - after all, you have switches in the old fixtures that could be used here. You would just have to drill holes to mount them (and can use the old fixture for sizing the holes).
There might not be room in the new fixtures, but it's worth considering.

Old 10-06-06, 06:57 AM
R
Do not modify the lights you have. Doing so would violate any UL listing they have, and possibly create a fire hazard.

First, and most importantly, verify that the lights can be used. I am guessing that these are not recessed lights, and that they are designed to mount on the ceiling. If these are recessed in any way then I suggest you stop tight here and NOT use them.

Verify that the lights are compatible with your existing wires. If the existing wires are old then they may only be capable of 60 degrees. Look for a temperature rating on the boxes of the new fixtures. What does it say? If it says 90 degree wiring required, and you have older wiring that is only rated for 60 degrees, then you will have a fire hazard. You can eliminate this hazard by rewiring to the lights, but this may or may not be what you want to do.

As to your original question. Yes, you can wire in a switch. Do you have any idea where the wires to these lights run, either in the wall or in the attic or basement? Do you want one switch for both lights, or a single switch? Are these lights on the same circuit?

Old 10-06-06, 07:30 AM
A
The lights aren't recessed and are designed to fit on the ceiling.
I can't find any temperature ratings on the box or instructions, but the wiring and the light itself aren't that old(though the light does have an old fashioned style.)
The wires run in the wall towards the ceiling and both work independently of each other. I would like to install one switch for each light.

Last edited by stickshift; 10-06-06 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Removed quoting of entire post
Old 10-06-06, 08:22 AM
R
You are going to have to figure out where the wires run. Do you have access to the attic/crawl space above?

Is there only one cable in each box?

Are these on the same circuit?

Where (in relation to the lights) do you want the switch?

Old 10-06-06, 05:56 PM
A
wall lights

Originally Posted by racraft
You are going to have to figure out where the wires run. Do you have access to the attic/crawl space above?

Is there only one cable in each box?

Are these on the same circuit?

Where (in relation to the lights) do you want the switch?
The lights are in my kitchen and the wires run up the wall to the ceiling, there's a bedroom above so I think they run between ceiling and floorboards towards the central ceiling light, but I can't be sure as I can't get access to see wherever they go, not without ripping the plaster off walls and ceiling.

Each light has a single single cable going to it.

I would like to put the switches right next to the lights.

Old 10-07-06, 05:34 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you think that the lights will look good where you want to put them you can easily just install a switch near the exisitng box and run a switch loop.

Get old work boxes, run a two conductor cable to the switch box and create a switch loop.

While you are at the big box store getting all the electrical supplies check out thier selection of fixtures. It may be cheeper to buy new lights.

Old 10-08-06, 05:44 PM
Remember if you do a "Switch Leg" make sure you re identify the white wire in that 2 wire cable. Simply wrap it with black electrical tape to re identify it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: