Basement "Porch Light"

Old 10-02-06, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement "Porch Light"

We have a walk out basement. Above the door is porch with roof extending 8 feet out from the house. The electrician has installed the worst looking Vapor Proof light fixture next to the door you can imagine. He maintains that it has to be water tight to meet NEC and therefore cannot be like the other "Porch Lights" on all of the other 1st floor doors. I disagree, am I right or wrong?

You have probably guessed it, we do not enjoy the help of code inspectors.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-06, 05:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
"Vapor proof" would indicate a NEMA5 enclosure, and I don't think you have that. You probably have a water proof unit, which you must have if the area is open to the elements. Not having side walls would be "open" to the elements, so you will have to replace it with a similar unit, prettier, but similar. Check with your local electrical supply house or one of the big boxes. Most all outdoor fixtures are considered rated for use where there is rain.

Old 10-08-06, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with Chandler.....if you visit your local electrical supply house you will find that in the case you describe most all exterior light fixtures will be ok for you to use.