what if some holes around recess light are too big ?

Old 10-03-06, 07:52 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face what if some holes are too big ?

Hi,

The guy that did the holes for installing my pot lights made some holes a bit too big, so the clip will show from under the trim. Kind of ugly.
Is there any solution to this problem ?

Thanks.

Old 10-03-06, 08:12 AM
J
What you are talking about is a common problem.

Since I am not good at drywall, I would need to get someone who is to patch around the fixture. Sometimes this is alot of work to make look right. Different types of paint etc can cause the need for the entire ceiling to be re-done.

Another possibility is that the lighting supply house may have a trimm with a wider rimm.

Old 10-03-06, 08:41 AM
D
Red face

Since the ceiling is not painted yet we could do some patch. The problem is that if we patch with compund, will be to soft so the clips will cut in. Is there another kind of patch, more hard ?

Thank you

Old 10-03-06, 08:58 AM
J
What you said about the compound is always my problem. Often that little bit does not hold well and cracks or falls out in short order.

As I said I am not good with drywall.

You may get a better answer if you post a new thread on this forum:
http://forum.doityourself.com//forumdisplay.php?f=27

Please also check back here, as some of our other users may have good ideas to share.

Old 10-10-06, 09:40 AM
J
Remove the light fixture, cut out a square (16"x16") piece of drywall and install a new piece with the proper size hole already cut in it. There are hole saws of different sizes that make it easy to get the right size. Using a keyhole or drywall saw to cut holes for fixtures is bound to get it wrong.

I would never depend on compound to patch around a light fixture.

Old 10-11-06, 11:06 AM
C
I would probably do as Joe suggested and replace a larger piece of drywall. You could also get a new work can while you had it open and use that. I'm not a big fan of those drywall clips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: